Buying It Just Because You “Saw It” is Unnecessary

Michelle So, Staff Writer

If you are active on Instagram, you may be familiar with the ever-present “Tagged” symbol on the bottom left corner of posts. When clicked, an assortment of usernames pop up on screen, putting a username to each face. More recently, however, these tag icons have been used to sneak in product brands.

While there are rules to adhere to for sponsorship, celebrities tagging their favorite brands implies a more intimate connection to the audience. Afterall, one is more likely to scroll past a post labeled “Sponsored” than one of a young dancer going through her facial care routine. 

Now, this is a good moment to point out that while facial products and make-up are common examples of influencer-backed products, they do not constitute the majority of the random junk we purchase from the Internet. 

In Nov. of 2020, George Clooney appeared on CBS Sunday Morning and made a shocking confession. The two-time People’s ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ cuts his own hair using a Flowbee. The device is essentially a vacuum that suctions hair into a row of shaving razors, producing an even-length do. In weeks following Clooney’s endorsement, Flowbees were sold out on nearly every site. Over a year later, the plastic devices still fetch up to $200 on sites like Ebay.

People flocking to purchase 30-year-old clippers may seem absolutely ridiculous, but I can attest to the primal urge to own something after seeing it online. For a while, I was hooked on videos of people mixing, rolling, and shaping polymer clay into earrings. It was so alluring; piecing various pastel shades together to form a flower, or creating kaleidoscope swirls. For context, I do have pierced ears but other than that, earrings have never held any special significance for me. 

Yet, as I was purchasing school supplies at Michaels, I found myself leaving with a rainbow assortment of “easy-bake” polymer clay. Since purchasing, I’ve done more research into polymers, namely their negative environmental impact, and have not bothered to even use it. Do I fully regret my purchase? Yes. Would I go as far as to say the Internet made me do it? Also, yes.

For Arcadia High School sophomore Spencer Babapour, the item he regrets getting was a “spinning steel top thing that went viral.”

The fidget-friendly gadget peaked in popularity right before the pandemic and Babapopur, mesmerized by online videos displaying the toy, decided to jump on the trend.

“It’s cool at first to have ‘cause you see it online and then you have it,” he said. “You ride the high for a few weeks and then you forget about it. In that aspect, yes, I do regret the purchase.”

It’s a prime example of bad consumer habits. The more we spend on random junk the more we pay the price; literally and figuratively. A survey from finder.com says 64% of Americans admit they regretted buying something, whether it be clothing, food, or electronics. A lot of the time, our shamed purchases take up space until they are re-gifted or thrown out. Keeping odd objects can eventually borderline hoarding while throwing items out does disservice to the growing piles of landfill in existence. Additionally, spending uncontrollably can cause a significant financial dent over time.

If you are guilty of the occasional dime spent, there should be no need to worry. But, if you’re the type to have delivery packages rolling in every week, it may be time to rethink things.  Mindful spending is useful in keeping your new purchases to a minimum, allowing for everything you own to hold significance. The key is to be aware of your budget and most importantly, be in tune to what is important. We, as humans, last a long time. Another fun gadget may not. Next time, before clicking that “Confirm Purchase” button, ask yourself, “Will this item give me a temporary high or long-lasting happiness?”

Photo courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM