An Introduction to Boys Varsity Volleyball

Henrina Zhang, Staff Writer

As the spring season rolls around, Arcadia High School (AHS) Boys Varsity Volleyball is preparing for a new season. With a new round of players, practices, games, and goals, here’s what Boys Varsity Volleyball has in store for this season.

The team roster this year is filled with talented and ambitious students, and they are all excited to hit the ground running. Without an official practice yet, due to rising COVID-19 cases, the boys are still hard at work. Despite practices being canceled, the boys still work to get into peak shape. Most of them condition and build their strength while playing volleyball with others. Going to the gym, playing practice games, and practicing their control on the ball are just a few things they do. There have been multiple open gym events, where players of all levels gather at the AHS gym to practice their fundamentals. They know the importance of starting early and acknowledge the difficulty of the game.

Most of these boys have played for quite some time, averaging around four to five years. Senior Matther Le, captain of the team, has participated in numerous tournaments and games. They’re all aware of the competition in volleyball and have pinpointed things that they want to work on.

Sophomore Kyle Soriano said, “Our greatest strength would be our chemistry, because we are all great friends and can work out problems if we have any.”

Sophomore Darren Yang agreed, stating that their “biggest strength is [their] ability to adapt to any situation, like the pandemic.”

Despite the concerns, the team agreed that their chemistry and teamwork is their strength. Most of them have known each other for quite some time, and don’t hesitate to work out any problems that arise. They know how to have fun and to push each other to their limits.

Being on Varsity volleyball, it is essential for the team to be able to balance their sport, academics, and health. Sophomore CJ Lee said “I always have to be conscious about what I’m doing and try to make sure I always recover in the shortest amount of time; everyone especially emphasizes the importance of stretching. On another note, to every athlete, finding their motivation is key to pushing past challenges and growing. They put academics and health over volleyball, but find time to do the things they love.

For these athletes, academics come first. The Boys Varsity Volleyball team unanimously prioritizes their school and health.

Sophomore Kevin Nakaishi stays motivated by “eating a lot between games. It keeps [him] energized and stops [him] from cramping.”

As of now, the season is looking a bit uncertain. However, the main goal of the Boys Varsity team is to win CIF. When asked about their goals, the team responded that they plan on winning CIF by improving as a team. Le hoped that “As a team it would be great if we could win League this year as Arcadia has fallen short for the past couple years.”

The Boys Varsity Volleyball team hopes to leave a legacy, so that next season, they may inspire the new team. Additionally, a lot of the players simply want to have fun and get more playing in. Some are excited to improve their plays and skills, and others look forward to exercising their leadership and teamwork. They are determined to pool together their strengths, like adapting quickly to any situation, to overcome any obstacle that stands in their way.

Photo courtesy of AUSD FACEBOOK