Why Everyone Should be Introduced to Music

Sabrina Lo, Staff Writer

Music has been a staple of human life since the beginning of time. From the earliest flutes found in a European cave to Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran, there is, in fact, a reason that music continues to change lives. Composing music, playing music, and just listening to music benefits the entire well-being of a person. Furthermore, introducing music to people who have not been introduced to it, can make a lasting impact on their lives, and generations to come.

According to Billboard, Nielsen 360 estimates that 90% of the entire population listens to music. Studies have shown that a person who listens to music has lower levels of stress, and higher levels of enjoyment. This results in better concentration and better scores in school. Heart health, memory stimulation, and increased endurance are just a few examples of what music can do to you according to Northshore’s “9 Health Benefits of Music.” 

Another positive thing about music is that there are many genres, to fit everyone’s taste. Perhaps one finds classical music boring; well, pop is a good alternative. Different types of music have also proven to “match” certain situations.

For example, classical music “has been found to help students perform 12 percent better on their exams”, according to Entrepreneur.

Meanwhile, BW Healthcare World said that pop music “boosts energy and helps us exercise better”. 

There are already several organizations that aim to provide music to the poverty-stricken. The Global Music Project works to give instruments to those in need. Hungry For Music also serves the same purpose.

Students at Arcadia High School (AHS) were asked to imagine their lives without music; no radio, no Spotify, no YouTube. 

“If all [music] was completely erased from existence, my world would be filled with much more stress… [music] reduces stress and gives my mind a break from school,” said sophomore Lucas Oh. “Music is [one of] my main outlets to relieve my stress and just have a good time.”

“Music makes me very happy…depending on my mood, I like to pick and choose the music I listen to. Music uplifts me, impresses me, and inspires me,” said freshman Darya Derakhshani.

Freshman Evelyn Tsoi said that although she predicted she would “honestly be a lot more productive without [Spotify, YouTube, etc], music is a way to bond with [her] friends.”  

I, myself, have been playing the piano since the age of 5, and am also in the orchestra at AHS. To me, music is a great way of letting my emotions out, and it’s also an escape from any potential stress I encounter. Learning a musical instrument also comes with lots of responsibility and patience. Whenever I feel down, listening to music always boosts my mood. I love all kinds of music, and I truly can’t imagine someone without access to music.

Photo courtesy of PIXABAY.COM