Everyone Needs a Hero

Sophia Li, Staff Writer

Kid reporter Joseph Perez asked National Football League Superstar Tom Brady, “Many people say you’re their hero, but who’s your hero?”

This simple yet impactful question, different from other questions professional reporters have asked, brought tears to Brady’s eyes as he answered.

From this interaction, I believe that no matter who you are, whether you are a student, parent, or professional athlete, you need a hero in your life. No matter if your hero is from the movie Black Panther or if your hero is your beloved parent, a hero is crucial, as maybe they serve as a guiding post to one’s life. Without a hero to look up to, it’s hard to achieve one’s goals, as one doesn’t always know exactly what they want nor how to achieve it. 

English actor Tom Holland recently starred in the movie Spider-Man: No Way Home. Holland now plays the main-character role of Spider-Man, and he has admired Spider-Man on screen, watching actors like Tobey Maguire, hoping one day that would be him. Additionally, in the early stages of his career, when interviewers asked him if he could share the screen with one actor, who it would be, Holland always said Jake Gyllenhaal. Now, his dreams have become a reality. Not only does he play the role of Spider-Man, but he also starred in four movies alongside long-time idol and hero Gyllenhaal, like Spider-Man: No Way Home, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Far From Home, and The Current War. Although they might not have been the reason why Holland is successful today, having a hero like Gyllenhaal and Maguire, and seeing real, celebrity actors on the screen might have inspired and motivated Holland to reach for the role he aspires to.

Even if you don’t have a hero, having someone you look up to as a role model in your life is valuable. A hero might not necessarily be someone you aspire to be exactly like, but it can also be someone who positively impacts your life. For example, senior Cadence Chen is inspired by her coach, Jacques Sallberg, as he is a role model to many of the girls on the team as well. His upbeat personality and authenticity create a welcoming and optimistic atmosphere for the Arcadia High School Girls’ Cross Country team.

“Although I have not known him for long, my cross country coach has quickly become someone I greatly admire and can confidently say has become a prominent role model in my life. He is someone I look up to, and his passion for the sport is infectious and inspires me to put the same amount of energy into my own interests and pursuits,” Chen said. 

“I respect him not only as an athlete but as a person as well. I appreciate his encouragement of honesty and communication among the team, especially since I sometimes struggle with it. All in all, I look up to him, and I respect the path he has paved for many athletes,” Chen also said. 

All in all, the importance of having a hero is something that should not go unnoticed. Heroes can come in all forms, and if you look closely, you may realize that there’s already a hero present in your life. Heroes are inspirational and can motivate everyone around them to be better versions of themselves, which is why they are essential.

Photo courtesy of PXHERE.COM