Betty White’s Legacy

Anna Odell, Staff Writer

The beloved star Betty White passed away on Dec. 31, 2021, just weeks away from her 100th birthday. 

Her career as an actress lasted for more than eight decades and was universally loved.

People all over the world were heartbroken upon hearing this news as she was known for being a “warm and popular presence,” stated People

White starred in many TV shows including The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Golden Girls, and That 70’s Show. On each of these shows many people loved each one of her roles as she was hilarious when she acted. 

Yet she wasn’t just an actress. In 1952, White “co-founded her own production company and became the first woman to produce a national TV show,” according to CNN.

Her roles in film, whether on or off the television, helped shape the industry. She won several awards for these roles which include Emmys and Lifetime Awards. 

CNN also expressed that White was known for having a progressive view on the world as she was an advocate for LGBTQ+ rights and HIV/AIDS awareness as well as being a strong feminist. Her work as a volunteer for the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association (which she was a part of for 40 years), as well as other animal welfare organizations greatly helped the preservation of species and animals in need. 

“Our zoo animals serve as ambassadors to the public—to make people aware of the diminishing wild populations before it is too late. A message that will only register by seeing these wondrous creatures live and up close,” White wrote for the Los Angeles Zoo. 

Other celebrities have also been expressing their dismay about White’s death. White served as an important symbol and role model for many people including these celebrities. 

Reynolds, Ryan (VancityReynolds). “The world looks different now. She was great at defying expectations. She managed to grow very old and somehow, not old enough. We’ll miss you, Betty. Now you know the secret.” 31 Dec. 2021, 12:08 p.m. Tweet.

Bertinelli, Valerie(Wolfiesmom). “Rest in peace, sweet Betty. My God, how bright heaven must be right now.” 31 Dec. 2021, 11:44 a.m. Tweet.

Students at Arcadia High School (AHS) were also unhappy after hearing the news.

“I was sad to see her go,” stated AHS junior Nathan Liu. “I loved her role on The Golden Girls. She deserved to make it to her 100th birthday.”

“She inspired me in many ways, and I was heartbroken when I found out that she passed away,” AHS junior Dahlia Johnson said. 

Described as a “National Treasure” by Today, Betty White was a strong activist and a cherished star. She worked to help people all over the world. Everyone who knew about her was sad to see her pass; however, they insist that her legacy won’t be forgotten and that her memory will live on forever. 

Photo courtesy of WIKIMEDIA COMMONS