What Students Are Doing For Finals

Henrina Zhang, Staff Writer

As finals approach, we’re all scrambling to study, mentally prepare ourselves, and just straight-up panicking. But finals don’t have to be some daunting task that you’ve given up on already; you just have to know how to prepare and how to enter finals with the right attitude.

Generally, the idea of finals is a big end-of-the-year test for a certain class, which at first, seems incredibly difficult. But when broken down, a student is fully capable of preparing for every final. An average person has three to five finals, because some classes may have projects or some with no finals. If time is managed properly, studying is manageable. 

“I have four finals and I’m very scared. But I think if I stop procrastinating and start studying this week then I could pass,” said sophomore Edward Lai. 

Studying for a whole semester of material is overwhelming, but if you break it down to a little bit per day, you’ll find yourself making an improvement. Manage your time well, and make sure you cover a portion of each class daily. One bit of advice is to start studying as early on as possible. Start reviewing material you learned months ago and refresh your mind. Studying effectively is the main component of performing well on finals. Like all teachers state, don’t cram. Continuously review what you learn to ingrain it into your brain. This way, it is stored in your long-term memory. Additionally, the best way to study is active recall; studying in a question-answer format is very useful in remembering information. And another studying classic is making flashcards.

“I started studying a week before finals. I’m following all my teachers’ review material and making sure I take my time to remember what I forgot. I also want to read over all my notes, especially for AP Human Geography and math,” said sophomore Joss Lau.

Although studying is important for peak performance, there are also other contributing factors, a major one being your mindset and how well-rested your body is. Even if giving up and procrastinating is extremely tempting, don’t let your fears dictate your actions. Panic and anxiety are normal, so learning how to cope will give you a great advantage.

“I’m really really anxious for finals. I get scared and panic every time I think about it. But I know all my friends feel like this too, so at least it’s not just me,” expressed sophomore Hailey Tam.

Putting off studying will leave you unprepared and anxious, which isn’t good for your health excessively cramming information isn’t healthy either. It is essential to find a balance between studying and self-care. One of the most crucial components of preparing for finals is taking care of yourself, getting enough sleep, nutrients, exercise, and time to relax. 

“I think it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself once finals come close. I know I always pull all-nighters to study. And I stress myself out until I go crazy. One thing I think that’s important is remembering that I’ll take a lot of finals in high school, so this one isn’t going to make or break my life,” said junior Leo Liang. 

On finals week, the best advice you could follow is to get a good night’s sleep. Your brain needs the proper amount of rest to function to its fullest potential. Also, make sure to eat a good breakfast and maintain regular exercise. When taking your test, make sure to read through all the questions and keep a clear mind, don’t overthink. Breathe and proceed with the test like any other exam. You’ve got this! Finals are a challenge that Arcadia High School students can definitely overcome!

Photographic Courtesy of FLICKR.COM