PLE Spoken English: The Student-Led Organization to Join!

Henrina Zhang, Staff Writer

Princeton Learning Experience (PLE) Spoken English is the student-led organization to join! PLE Spoken English is a volunteer organization focused on English-speaking high schools teaching conversational English to underprivileged kids in Asia. PLE Spoken English is a branch of Princeton Learning Experience, an organization affiliated with Princeton with an objective to provide high-quality education. As of now, the Asian students are from China, South Korea, and Taiwan, ranging from middle schoolers to high schoolers. There are over 70 student volunteer teachers and 150 students in Asia. Currently, it is short on teachers, so many students are on the waitlist, and some share a teacher. PLE Spoken English’s objectives are to allow those kids to practice their spoken English and to promote cultural exchange between students—plus, it’s a great way to enhance everyone’s global perspective.

The teacher applications, open to all high schoolers, never closes. A teacher candidate can submit their application whenever they prefer. If they are accepted, the applicant will move on to the interview round; interviews are held every week. To qualify as an applicant, the student must be fluent in English and be willing to donate at least one hour to PLE Spoken English every week. As a teacher working with children who aren’t quite familiar with English, a teacher should be patient, communicative, and engaging. It is also a bonus if they can speak another language, like Mandarin or Korean. Teachers are free to organize their classes how they see fit and schedule them whenever the student and teacher want. PLE Spoken English gives the freedom for teachers to develop their independence and leadership. In addition, PLE Spoken English is completely led by students. The community is very inclusive, and suggestions are always welcomed. 

Joining PLE Spoken English, first and foremost, will earn teacher volunteer hours. Becoming a teacher will train one’s communication skills, increase interaction among foreigners, and perhaps make new friends. 

Sophomore Lavinna Wu said, “I think PLE has improved my teaching skills because my student has helped me become more open-minded to things.”

Being able to help underprivileged kids practice their conversational English skills, fulfill a tutor’s volunteer hours, and work in a fun community of teachers and students makes PLE Spoken English the organization to join. 

“I joined PLE because I think it’s super cool that I can help kids in Asia with my skills. It’s also nice that I get to practice my Chinese,” said sophomore Samantha Fu, a teacher for PLE Spoken English. 

Photographic Courtesy of WIKIMEDIACOMMONS.COM