Thank You, Arcadia Speech and Debate

Robinson Lee, Editor-in-Chief

These past three years in Arcadia Speech and Debate have been a blast. From the hours spent meticulously preparing Congress speeches, to the days spent arguing about everything from climate change to ice cream, and the friendships I’ve forged, I am truly thankful for everything that this team has provided me.

Through Arcadia Speech and Debate, my passion for politics and history has shone. I started to read more news articles thanks to Congressional Debate and Extemporaneous Speech. The sheer amounts of information and current events I learned from outlets like National Public Radio, Cable News Network, Reuters, Rand, and the British Broadcasting Channel have equipped me with the confidence to discuss any topic, international or domestic, that comes my way. Reading more about current events has also given me a lot of perspective and has allowed me to understand the different narratives and complexities interwoven into each and every issue. Behind every single political issue, living people are affected by decisions made at all levels of a government. Oftentimes the right choice is not very clear, and the people who are the most affected by a decision are not the most heard. 

This knowledge works in conjunction with the improvement of my public speaking, allowing me to eloquently express myself. Through practice I have found myself able to quickly speak to an audience with minimal preparation and use my environment to express humor, intellect, passion and when needed great sorrow and frustration. I could only reach this point thanks to the opportunities provided by Arcadia Speech and Debate and the people who have kept me going.

The friends and bonds that I have made in Arcadia Speech and Debate have been the most valuable aspect of my social life. I was fondly welcomed by my mentor, Christian, in my freshman year, who became an inspiration for my continued passion in Extemporaneous Speech along with being a role model, shining as the type of student I wanted to become. I found great friendship with many more upperclassmen as well. In them I have found support and camaraderie that has continued to this day even as many of them went off to college. As I reflect on myself as a senior now, I find that I have taken the positions many of these upperclassmen took in mentoring and supporting the new underclassmen. It has been a joy to watch them succeed and grow in their speaking abilities, and I have learned alongside them as well. I look forward to continuing to do so during the rest of my senior year. I also have an immense amount of gratitude for the speakers and debaters who have walked alongside me as members of the class of 2022. You are all a talented, sensible, invigorating, amazing group who are willing to stick with my cringy jokes and continue to support me. I really will treasure the times that we have spent together—going to the beach, hanging out at the mall, and doing a bunch of last minute prep. Last but certainly not the least, none of my experiences would have been possible without the organizational power that is Ms. Novak. Thank you for all the tournaments, events, and advice you have organized and provided. 

The rich experiences that this team has provided me will stay with me throughout the rest of my life. I am proud to have been a part of this team, and I am unendingly grateful for everyone and everything in this team.