Athlete Feature: Dylan Luong

Ashley Chan, Staff Writer

Track and field is a strenuous sport to say the least. Track and field athletes are busy improving their sprinting, leaping, jumping, and throwing in order to compete with other talented athletes in their age category. Meaning, their dedication and constant hard work is vital to their success. Junior Dylan Luong, member of Arcadia High School’s (AHS) track and field team, describes his experience with the sport.

Luong first joined track and field for sprints during his freshman year of high school. Although he did not begin running on an official track and field team until high school, Luong’s talent and his motivation to improve was not lesser than any other athlete on the team.
“I have always enjoyed running and have felt that track and field would give me the opportunity to both focus on my work ethic and have fun,” said Luong.

With two, almost three, years of experience with the sport, there must be numerous memories he accumulated over the years. Among them, he stated that his favorite memory is from his very first race.

“Lining up to start for the first time was a nervous, yet thrilling feeling,” he said.

If you are a fellow athlete, you must know how Luong feels. This rush of adrenaline that is coursing through your body when you first step on the court, walk up to the line, or go up to bat. It’s nerve wracking and overwhelming, but ecstatic all at the same time.
There are plenty of events in track and field, with individuals normally favoring some over the others. These events are categorized by running, jumping, and throwing.

“My favorite event has to be the 200 meters, since it is super fun and exciting to run. The shorter distance makes it so that you put your all into it during that shorter amount of time, in order to make it to the finish line first,” Luong said.

When asked what his favorite aspect of the sport is, Luong said, “My favorite part of the sport is making new friends who push you to strive for the better and share the same goals as both athletes and as people.”

Not only is Luong a member of the track and field team at AHS, he is also a part of the AHS band, and is taking numerous classes and extracurriculars. So, how does he balance his workload, social life, extracurricular activities, and track and field?

“Although I have been quite busy, participating in track and field does give some form of balance to my schedule, which is nice,” Luong stated.

Sports are commonly used as an outlet from stress caused by school among other things, so it is comforting to know that track and field is that outlet for Luong.

Keep up the good work to the AHS’ track and field team!