Arcadia High School Presents: 2021 Winter Concert

Michelle So, Staff Writer

The Arcadia High School (AHS) Orchestras’ annual Winter Concert will be held on Dec. 10 in the Performing Arts Center. All four orchestras, Premier, String, Concert, and Symphony, will be performing. The concert will mark another milestone in the progression back to full speed. During previous school years, there have been more performances before the end of the semester, but this year is an exception.

“I haven’t played at an orchestra concert…since my freshman year,” said junior Shannon Cheng. 

Cheng is the concertmistress of Symphony Orchestra this year. She also holds a position as Lead Principal in Orchestra Council, the student government of orchestra.

“From the pre-concert jitters, mid-concert adrenaline, to post-concert celebration, I missed it all!” Cheng exclaimed.
Her excitement at playing in front of a crowd is shared by many other students in the orchestra program. Freshman Gavin Ngo is also very thrilled to be playing in the upcoming concert

“Only being able to play notes through a screen during online learning felt like I was missing half the experience of an orchestra,” said Ngo.

Ngo is a violinist in Concert Orchestra. His last two years of orchestra were cut short due to the pandemic. The Winter Concert will be his second performance as an AHS student. Out of Concert Orchestra’s pieces, his current favorite is Andante from Symphony No. 6.

“The melody is simple but beautiful,” he said. “The sudden changes in dynamic, the push and pulls of the song, and the tempo changes only elevates it even more and gives the song life.”

Ngo’s profound admiration of the piece is understandable. Over the last two years, the pandemic has taken numerous middle school recitals away from him and many other freshmen musicians. While he stuck with his instrument throughout the last year, some students found it difficult to continue without their friends. Learning an instrument takes dedication. Doing it alone can be tough, and all the musicians who made it through this time should be commended for their work. 

Please come out and support your fellow students! The AHS Orchestras will have a bustling program of wonderful music to get you ready for the holidays. Tickets will be available in the week leading up to the concert, and can be purchased at the door. See you there!