Thank You, Snek

Michelle So, Staff Writer

Ocean Sciences Bowl (OSB) is an academic team that I have been part of since my freshman year. After a long day of online classes, the meetings became an outlet for speaking (somewhat) face-to-face with peers. Although I had never met most of the people physically, we bonded over our mutual love for the ocean, amongst other things.

So this year, I was very excited to finally be able to get together with the faces that I had seen so much of on just my laptop screen. Our first meeting took place in S-104. As we all gathered around the table and introduced ourselves, it didn’t feel the same. Yes, I mean, it was our first time gathering as a club, and for me, my first week of being on campus, but the atmosphere felt the slightest bit stiff.

After we finished our draggingly slow acquaintances, Ms. Kristeen Pisano, our advisor, shouted from her desk, “Hey, you can hold the snake if you want!” Her statement grabbed my attention, and I immediately went up front where Snek was basking under a heat lamp. As an avid animal lover, reaching my hands into a snake enclosure isn’t something that bothers me. So, I pulled Snek from the depths of her wood-bark habitat. My fellow OSB members crowded around me, awed by the little creature’s presence, and began remarking upon all of Snek’s adorable features. “Look at her snout!” “Boop!” “She’s so soft!” “Her belly looks like Oreos!” Just like that, our awkward meeting was saved by the class pet. 

Snek is a Mexican Rosy Boa and is over 20-years-old, according to Ms. Pisano. She became a permanent resident of S-104 several years ago but was brought home during the pandemic. After going nameless for a while, students dubbed her Snek, after the Internet slang word for an adorable snake. In addition to a well-maintained habitat, Snek also receives plenty of nourishment; she is fed a live mouse once a month. The rare spectacle is one that either grosses out or fascinates the students who catch a glimpse. 

Since her return to the classroom, Snek has not only been a conversation starter but has helped cure students’ fear of snakes. Many people have the assumption that all snakes are hard, scaly, and will take any opportunity they get to sink their venom-laden fangs into your skin. One day with Snek will wash all those misconceptions away. Her cookies ‘n’ cream colored bellywhich is surprisingly squishyglides gently along one’s arm, and her tongue hesitantly sticks out as she searches for shelter within jacket sleeves. 

On behalf of OSB and the many organizations that meet in S-104, I would like to give a big thanks to Snek for brightening us up. You are the bestest little snek there ever was, and I hope we have many more hissss-terical days with you.