AHS Dance Department’s Charity Show is Back

Aahana Dutta, Staff Writer

The Charity Show will be held on Dec. 3 and Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. The show will feature five dances by the Beginning and Intermediate dance classes, with each class doing a different choreography, and it will also feature five additional student-choreographed dances by the Orchesis Dance Company. These dances will include a wide range of dance styles and genres. 

Arcadia High School (AHS) Dance Department started hosting the yearly Charity Show over 20 years ago. The purpose of the Charity Show is to give back to the community, and also bring together the Dance Department and the community. Every year, the Dance Department selects a charity and donates all the money they receive from the show to the charity. However, due to the pandemic, this year, a portion of the funds will be donated to the AHS Dance Department itself.

In order to ensure the safety of all the audience members, tickets will only be sold at half-capacity, so that people can maintain social distancing. 

Tickets can only be purchased online using this link. The flash sale lasted from Oct. 31 to Nov. 6, during which tickets could be bought at a $5 discount, with general admission being $10, and VIP admission being $15. After the flash sale, tickets are being sold at a normal price of $15 for general admission, and $20 for VIP admission. Students who study at any of the Arcadia Unified schools with a valid ID card can use the code “ausdstudent” to get a $5 discount on any type of ticket during the normal ticket sale. However, a student ID card must be presented at the gate if a ticket is bought using the student code. Seating is assigned, and seats can be chosen on the purchasing website, but it is recommended that if a party is going together, the tickets be bought at the same time. Tickets at the door are also available for $20 (general admission) and $25 (VIP admission).

”I know that the dancers, myself, and the rest of the Dance Department staff are really excited about the performance,” said Ms. Bree Genite, the Orchesis lead director. She also said that “the students are really excited about the performance” and that they are happy to be back in person.

If you know a dance student, you can also support them by filling out their name, ID number, and dance period when prompted to.

“As a performer in the show, there is much pressure and expectation for a dancer’s movements to be executed swiftly,” said Hally Nguyen, a Beginning Dance student. “Every movement is made with intention and placed with purpose, and adds incredible emphasis to the song and piece itself.”

The Dance Department is excited to bring back the Arcadia community together, once again, and hopes that the community enjoys what the Dance Department has to offer. 

Graphic courtesy of ARCADIA DANCE DEPARTMENT