Athlete Feature: Cara Hung

Dhruti Kulkarni, Staff Writer

Tennis is a sport that requires much dedication and discipline, and these traits are exemplified in Arcadia High School’s Girls’ Varsity Tennis team. A captain of this team is senior Cara Hung, who has been playing tennis for about eight years.

Hung was introduced to tennis by her mother, a tennis player herself, and she soon fell in love with the sport. What she loves most about tennis are the life skills that she gets to learn on the court, as the sport requires quick thinking and the ability to problem-solve.

“It even helps me calm my emotions,” Hung explained, “to stay calm under stress.”

The team that she has played on for all of high school is also a major factor in Hung’s love for tennis. She described the team as a family, with whom she could talk about anything with. She also mentioned the friendship and bonding events that helped the team grow closer.

A player that inspires Hung is tennis player Naomi Osaka, who, in addition to being an incredible athlete and a former women’s #1 player, is a firm advocate for mental health. Hung believes that the mental health of a player is often eclipsed by their achievements, and appreciates the light that Osaka has shone on the issues that players will often face.

“It’s honestly overshadowed sometimes by the player’s accomplishments and how they should be presenting themselves,” the athlete added. “It’s nice that she’s bringing attention to it.”

A memorable experience that Hung recounted was the Beckman Tournament, in which the girls team competed this year—and won.

“We had to play some really tough teams,” Hung said. “We beat out two of the top ten teams. It was nice to have everyone compete at a really high level; we were really challenged.”

Hung plans to play tennis through college and “just keep playing the game”. She has a strong interest in the sport, one that definitely shows in her skill level and achievements.

“Cara Hung is a hard worker, has a great attitude and is a very skilled tennis player,” said Girls’ Tennis Coach Ruth Lagace. “She is a senior, a team captain, and a nationally ranked player. Cara is an all league player, and last season she and her doubles partner, Makaila Cheng, came in 2nd in the CIF individual tournament. This makes her one of the top tennis players in Southern California.”

Hung is no doubt one of the best tennis players at AHS and in Southern California, with an acute interest and skill in the sport. As captain of the Varsity Tennis team, she will undoubtedly leave her mark and take the team to great heights.