Who is Ms. Connie Tu?

Serena Chin, Staff Writer

A native of Taiwan and a new staff member at Arcadia High School (AHS), Ms. Connie Tu has always had a love for music. Starting her musical career at the age of 7, when she was introduced to the electone, an electronic organ, she performed at recitals and participated in competitions in Taiwan. When she reached the age of 16, she switched her focus from playing electone to piano and has been playing ever since. In addition to piano, she also has been studying her secondary instrument, the violin, for more than ten years. 

“I actually didn’t know how to play [the violin] in high school. I had zero experience, but my high school teacher told me [to] just buy a violin and play. I am very thankful for that teacher because thanks to him, I would’ve never played or had the chance to play. This made the school orchestra very valuable to my career because if it weren’t for school orchestras, I wouldn’t be here today since it opened up a whole new world,” said Ms. Tu

As an active musician, Ms. Tu has participated in many different performance settings including The Chapman Orchestra, where she was featured in the school’s annual Wassail concerts, which were broadcast on KCET television nationwide. She was also accepted and played in the Semper International Music Festival, a major classical music event held in Völs am Schlern, South Tyrol, Italy, in 2016.

“With my experience with Ms. Tu, I think she is a very kind and cool conductor,” said Roxie Tu, a freshman member of the Premier Orchestra.

Ms. Tu earned her Master of Arts in Teaching degree as well as a music teaching credential under the President’s Educator Fellowship from the University of California, Irvine. She also earned her Bachelor of Music degree in Piano Performance from Chapman University. Ms. Tu also received some choir experience in college.

Although this is Tu’s first year teaching in Arcadia, this music teacher has been educating since 2019.

“I was very overwhelmed when I first started because it was my first time teaching in a high school, but the different music department teachers, like Ms. Chen and Mr. Sherrill, helped a lot on what to do, answering questions, and who to go to for what. It’s getting better and better, and the fall concert is giving me a lot of reassurance. With the way everything is going, it’s giving me a sign that I can tap on my shoulder and tell myself that I’m doing something right,” said Ms. Tu

Ms. Tu is very excited to be serving the AUSD community at AHS and is the teacher of both the AHS Choral Program as well as co-director of the Arcadia Orchestras.

Photographic Courtesy of Connie Tu