AHS Girls Volleyball Senior Night

Sabrina Lo, Staff Writer

The Arcadia High School (AHS) Girls Volleyball team had their annual Senior Night on Tuesday, Oct. 12, to honor all the seniors for their commitment and hard work to the team. In addition to a night full of celebration for the fellow seniors, the girls had another reason to celebrate. They played against John Burroughs High School in our very own North Gym, and declared victory over them with an overall score of 3-0. In the last match, it was a neck to neck battle but ultimately, Arcadia won 25-20.

COVID has jeopardized many things, and the girls have learned to be grateful for every moment. The seniors in particular were extremely thankful to be honored during senior night.

“Since we didn’t have a season last year I tried not to take anything for granted and played each game knowing that it might even be my last game,” said senior Cathy Shin. “One part I really loved about senior night was walking in with my parents because… I wouldn’t have been able to do volleyball without the support of my parents.”

“Senior night was so special because of the people that helped put it together,” said senior Ruby Ackemran. “We had Pep band, Pep Squad, and APN there. Ms. Ackerman also helped so much with getting everything together for us. The girls made it especially perfect, writing the best speeches and talking about memories from this season.”

Many of the Varsity members are not new to the team. In fact they have been playing for several years. What makes it so special and what did they learn?

“I have been part of the AHS volleyball team for 4 years; every year I learned the importance of not giving up and trusting my teammates,” said Shin.

Ackerman shared, “I have been on Varsity all four years… I kept playing not only because I love the game but also because of the team…The team always took me under their wing…so my senior year I wanted to do that…to keep the team atmosphere and closeness. I have learned to never give up”.

To further show appreciation to the seniors, the Varsity members created posters and a basket of gifts to present to their fellow team members. They also gave speeches, congratulating and thanking them for their dedication.

“We definitely do look up to the seniors! And it reflects it in our speeches!” said Ip, who is on the Varsity team.

Her speech, which was co-written with sophomore Cindy Tao, complimented their special senior, Ruby Ackerman.

“We see your love for volleyball in every single play. And we hope that we can acquire just an ounce of who you are as a player and person. You’re confident and sincere and those are just two of the many great qualities you hold as a person,” they wrote in their heartwarming speech.

Senior Night was also inspiring for the younger players, seeing their figuratively big sisters excel.

“Senior Night was definitely inspiring for me, especially since I saw how happy [the seniors] were with it and how lucky we are to be able to play with them,” said Ip. “I’m definitely looking forward to playing throughout my high school career!”

“Going to their games is really fun and exciting,” said Cordeiro. “Watching them play tough opponents and win makes you proud to have them representing our school.”

Having events like Senior Night help remind everyone of the best part of being part of a team. Victories are sweet, but memories made and friendships built are the real rewards of the journey.

Photo by AUSD Digital Communications Intern Bethany Chow