Another Successful Speech Follies

Frances Cheung, Staff Writer

Our Speech and Debate team is not only one of the most prestigious but also the largest academic team we have on campus. Consisting of nearly 150 members, this team competes at the league, state, and occasionally, even national level. Serving as more than just a team that competes, the Speech and Debate team builds students to have effective and persuasive public speaking skills and updated knowledge on current events, political affairs, and controversial topics. Being on the team gives you the choice of competing in either an interpretation, platform, limited preparation, or debate event. After the season has finished, the team hosts an annual Speech Follies show, consisting of well-prepared and talented members who perform their pieces for the audience to get a laugh at and enjoy.

This year, the annual show took place during the evening in the lecture hall as usual on three nights, March 24 to 26. All three nights were packed with people as family members, friends, and residents attended ready for a night of laughs, inspiration, and thoughtful speeches. Furthermore, each night also included a debate with topics just for fun and enjoyment, such as dogs versus cats. Most people were blown away by the sheer talent and skill each performer displayed. Many performers revealed themselves to be advancing to state championships, which will take place in April in AHS.

Sophomore Gloria Cheng stated that “I attended Speech Follies for extra credit thinking it would be boring and political. However, throughout the show, I became more and more impressed and fascinated at how well-prepared each performer executed their speech. Overall, it was a really inspirational night, and it encouraged me and fellow friends to want to join as well.”

Overall, all three nights were complete successes with many left motivated, others impacted, and even more feeling like they could finally relate to someone else’s thoughts. For those who are currently interested in being a part of the Speech and Debate family, applications are now available and will be due on April 21. To access the application, simply enter the Google Classroom for the tryouts with the code g23sun. After applications are done, there will be a tryout process where potential members have to perform a piece of their own.

For those who didn’t get the chance to attend this year’s Speech Follies, be sure to attend next year. Congratulations to the Speech and Debate team for working hard and their time and energy for another successful season!