Top 5 News Stories of October

Michelle So, Staff Writer

Here are five new stories of the month that students should be aware of.

1. Ahmaud Arbery Trial Begins

The brutal murder of Ahmaud Arbery last February left the nation appalled by the cruel realities of racism in the U.S. The 25-year-old, who was Black, was out for a jog in Brunswick, Georgia, when he was pursued by three white men.

According to later testimonials, two of the accused, father and son George and Travis McMichaels, chased down Arbery because they believed he was a house burglar. Neighbor and fellow accused William Bryan Jr. followed closely behind, recording a video of the incident. In the disturbing events that followed, the McMichaels began to tail Arbery in with their pickup truck. After one of them hit Arbery with the truck, the younger McMichael shot Arbery three times from the bed of the pickup truck and even engaged in hand combat with him. Eventually, outnumbered and fatiguing, Arbery collapsed in the middle of the road.

The video, though disgusting and sickening, is going to play a crucial role as evidence in the upcoming trial. Defense is expected to make a point of Georgia’s citizen arrest laws, which currently permit vigilantes to commit arrests as long as there is probable cause.

Though over a year since Arbery’s death, the trial proceedings have begun, leading to renewed public interest. At the current stage, a jury of 12 is being selected out of over 400 contenders. There has been difficulty locating jurors who are both local and have little knowledge of the case, in order to maintain fairness.

“The race of jurors matters in these cases,” said Paul Butler, a Georgetown University law professor. In a quote from the New York Times, Butler recalled the Trayvon Martin case in which Martin, an African American high schooler, was fatally shot. The jury, which was mostly white, acquitted the shooter, George Zimmerman, on account of his actions being justified through self-defense. However, as Butler added, in the recent conviction of Derek Chauvin for his murder of George Floyd, the jury was very racially diverse.

The killing sparked nationwide protests calling for “Justice for Ahmaud”. A trend bringing awareness to the case even gained traction online. #Runforahmaud got thousands of posts within the week. The tag featured people around the world taking pictures of their jogs in honor of the run that Arbery never completed.

2. FDA to Allow Different Brand Booster Shots

For the majority of the country who wishes to be vaccinated has already done so, there has been more talk about booster shots, which will allow extended immunity against COVID-19. The three companies making COVID vaccines for U.S. distribution are Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has included the following criteria for people recommended to get booster shots:

• 65 years and older
  • Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
  • Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
  • Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings

Now, the CDC has extended their recommendation, saying in a statement that, “Eligible individuals may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster dose.”

This is good news for people who would want a booster shot but got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which had its fair share of a blood clotting scare. The reports of young to middle-aged women that experienced possibly fatal clotting frightened the public about the efficacy of the shots. While only 57.6% of U.S. citizens are vaccinated, the flexibility to mix-and-match vaccine brands is still great for the rest of the public.

“Today’s action should not distract from the critical work of ensuring that unvaccinated people take the first step and get an initial COVID vaccine,” said the CDC, “More than 65 million Americans remain unvaccinated, leaving themselvesand their children, families, loved ones, and communitiesvulnerable.”

3. Colin Powell, an American Hero, Dies at 84

The nation’s former Secretary of State Colin Powell died on Monday, Oct. 18 at Walter Reed National Medical Center. Although he was fully vaccinated, Powell died due to COVID complications. His underlying medical conditions—prostate cancer, multiple myeloma (a white blood cell cancer), and Parkinson’s disease—caused him to have a weakened immune system, and he eventually succumbed to the same disease that has killed over 4 million others worldwide.

Born to Jamaican parents, Powell had strong ties to his parents’ immigrant identity. Under President George W. Bush, Powell became the first Black Secretary of State. He was most well known for his 2003 speech in front of the United Nations Security Council. In the speech, Powell advocated in support of the U.S. invading Iraq. His claim was that sources indicated weaponry stockpiling within Iraq and it would be in the U.S.’ best interest to attack before it went too far.

Later, his information and source were found to be incorrect, and Powell resigned before Bush’s next term. Although his position as Secretary of State did not end well, he did have many other accomplishments throughout his lifetime. After climbing the ranks in the Army, Powell went from being an infantryman to a lieutenant, then on to becoming a four-star general. He served in Vietnam twice in his career in the Army and even won the Soldier’s medal for rescuing fellow army members from a burning helicopter.

Those who knew him reflected on Powell fondly after the news of his passing.

President Joe Biden remembers Powell as a “patriot of unmatched honor and dignity” and ordered government flags to fly at half-staff throughout the week.

President Bush, who was in office at the same time as Powell’s cabinet position, said, “He was highly respected at home and abroad. And most important, Colin was a family man and a friend.”

4. Jefferson Bust to be Removed from New York City Hall

If you are or were a student in the U.S., chances are that you’ve heard of Thomas Jefferson. His many statues of remembrance sit in places of power, one of which is New York City Hall. As the third president of the U.S., Jefferson is most remembered for writing the Declaration of Independence, facilitating the Louisiana Purchase, and abolishing the slave trade. The last of which, however, is at the center of controversy because while Jefferson did abolish the slave trade due to political reasons, he still owned around 130 slaves. It is because of his participation as a slave owner that the figure of Jefferson is to be removed.

Jefferson’s statue should not be in “a position of honor and recognition and tribute,” said council member Inez Barron during a public meeting.

The push to remove the statue began long ago but did not prompt lawmakers to take action until this year. There have been increased talks about how even art can promote the racist history of the past.

“The bottom line is that there is no educational purpose for the statue to be in City Hall chambers,” said Council member Adrienne Adams.

Her point resonates with many, who agree the statue would be better off in a history museum. The only drawback comes at the expense of tradition. The statue was made in 1833 by Pierre-Jean David D’Algers. It jumped around for several decades before finally reaching its (supposed) forever home in New York City Hall. A final designated spot is said to be decided by the end of the year.

5. 16 Americans Kidnapped by Gangsters in Haiti

16 American missionaries were abducted by a gang in Haiti on Saturday, Oct. 16. The group of U.S. nationals, as well as one Canadian, were in Haiti as part of a mission with Christian Aid Ministries, an Ohio-based nonprofit. Prior to their abduction, the group was on their way to visit an orphanage to carry out charity work. The gang responsible for the crime, called 400 Mazowo, recently released a video in which their leader threatens to kill all 17 missionaries unless his demands (ransoms) are met.

This violent occurrence is not the first in Haiti. On Jul. 7, President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated in his home. His death led to political turmoil around the island country, as authorities are still trying to piece together why he was murdered. The government instability has led to increased incidents of gang violence, noticeably with murders and hostage situations.

During the late summer, Haitians suffered catastrophe after catastrophe, beginning with a massive 7.2 magnitude earthquake that destroyed hundreds of cities and homes. The Aug. 14 quake, reminiscent of Haiti’s 2010 7.0 shake, obliterated structures that were still rebounding from the previous disaster. Just a few days later, tropical storm Grace made landfall, leaving nearly 15 inches of rain in some areas. Though many are still missing, recent estimates say over 2,200 people died from those natural disasters alone.

As for the hostages, the FBI and the State Department are working on freeing them from the gang. There are five children amongst the abductees.

Graphic by Caitlyn Chau