The Importance of Electives

Dhruti Kulkarni, Staff Writer

Six periods a year, four years in total: that makes twenty-four periods for the average high-schooler, semester classes excepted. Take off four years of English, three years of social science, two more of physical education, then for math and science, and one year of art or world language, and you have ten periods or twenty semesters, and even fewer if you endeavor to fulfill University of California or California State University requirements. Students are, understandably, conservative with those ten periods: maybe two more years of math, that AP science, two years of a foreign language, or a sports team. 

But what about that performance art class, or that engineering course? Electives are often sidelined in favor of “more important” classes, but I believe that they matter a lot more than they are thought to.

To begin, electives offer students a way to express themselves in ways that they choose to. Not all students will have an affinity to one of the subjects in a “core curriculum,” and an elective, be it a class about art or programming, could be the class in which a student really gets to be themself. While often not as merited as a calculus or biology class, graphic design could be the period in which a student can express themselves in a creative medium while still actively participating and learning. In the tension of a high school schedule, electives offer a grace period, one in which students can focus on subjects that they specifically enjoy and cultivate skills that they already have an affinity for.

In addition, elective classes are ways for students to introduce themselves to new fields and possible career choices. In Arcadia High School’s Career and Technical Education (CTE) electives, students are given choices ranging from television production to sports medicine. These electives offer a look into the professional world and are a great way for students to gain technical experience that wouldn’t be offered by the core subjects. In terms of higher education, electives are also a way to demonstrate an interest in particular subjects to a college or explore possible fields of study. And even those taking electives with only a passing interest will have opportunities to further a variety of skills while in their classes.

In conclusion, electives should not be considered as any less than the core subjects. Electives provide a variety of benefits for students and are an important part of high school education. So take that elective that you’ve been eyeing: you’ll get something out of it, for sure.

Photo Courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM