Who is Britney Spears?

Sabrina Lo, Staff Writer

Twenty to thirty years ago, Britney Spears was an incredibly popular name. Today, it still is, but for a very different reason. 

Britney Spears was born on Dec. 1, 1981, in McComb, Mississippi. She has been a singer, dancer, and actress since she was little. In December 1992, Spears was cast in The Mickey Mouse Club. Throughout her lifetime, she has been notorious for her mental health, but not all of the rumors are true. Because she was such a big celebrity, the paparazzi followed her around a lot, leading to much of her personal and private life being leaked.

So how exactly did Spears’ conservatorship issue begin?

In 2008, Spears was admitted twice to a psychiatric ward. She was found by paparazzi doing things like shaving her head. A conservatorship which was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, was then placed, after Spears’ divorce with ex-husband Kevin Federline. For those who don’t know what a conservatorship is, it’s when the court appoints a guardian or protector to manage the life and mainly financial affairs of another person, because of health or age reasons. In Spears’ case, her father is the conservatee, who has taken up the role since 2008.

Fast forward to June, 2021, Spears was emotionally testifying and asking for her conservatorship to be terminated because her father was abusing her. Unfortunately for her, Judge Brenda Penny had to deny the request. In August, her father said that he would step down, but only “when the time is right”. 

Spears’ attorney, Matthew Rosengart claimed that her father’s intentions were not good, and that he had profited much from being a conservatee.

On the other hand, her father has refused to defend himself, leaving his lawyer to repeatedly say,“As Mr. Spears has said again and again, all he wants is what’s best for his daughter.”

The controversy of whether Spears should be “freed” or not led to the fan-made #FreeBritney movement. In this movement, fans are using social media to try and bring awareness to her situation. These fans have also gone out to the streets to protest in favor of Spears.

On Sept. 28, Spears’ father was finally suspended from the conservatorship. While Rosengart, the star’s attorney, was insulting her father, he spoke in a statement presented by the court.

“Mr. Spears loves his daughter Britney unconditionally. For thirteen years, he has tried to do what is in her best interests, whether as a conservator or her father.”

Spears, who was ecstatic, posted a picture of herself flying a plane on Instagram, with the caption “Geez I was scared 😳 🙄 !!! Pssss bringing the ship 🛳 home, JL … Stay classy beautiful people !!!! New pics coming soon 📷😉✨ !!!!”

Two AHS students gave their opinions on the conservatorship. 

I absolutely believe that she should be in charge of her conservatorship,” said freshman Naveen Imran. “Back then the conservatorship made sense. It came to the point where she, an adult woman, had no control over life, her career, her finances, even her family. What started as a way to help her turned into a scheme of greed and injustice. She deserves to live and breathe without fear, and she deserves to be free.”

Freshman Austin La has similar thoughts as Naveen.

“She should have her own power, it’s a given,” said Austin.  “She has been able to prove that she is able to take care of herself.”

Though Spears is now in more control of her career, it is still unknown when, if ever, she will return to the stage. This conservatorship case is far from over, and she will be in the news for a while.