Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Lineup Boasts Lots of Star Power

Sohana Sahni, Staff Writer

The Super Bowl is arguably the biggest sporting event of the year for most Americans. The Pepsi halftime show this year boasts an all-star lineup of celebrities sure to wow fans at home. Artists Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, and Kendrick Lamar will take to the stage Feb. 13, 2022 at the SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. 

This Super Bowl marks the first time this selection of five multi-award winning artists will hit the stage together. The musicians gathered boast a total of 43 Grammys and have made 22 No. 1 Billboard albums. This event also holds special significance to Los Angeles football fans, as it will be the first time that the Super Bowl will be held in Los Angeles in almost 30 years. 

Dr. Dre, one of the most influential hip hop artists of the decade, shared he felt honored and excited to be performing with some of the other greatest artists of this age. 

“The opportunity to perform at the Super Bowl Halftime show, and to do it in my own backyard, will be one of the biggest thrills of my career,” said Dr. Dre.  “I’m grateful to JAY-Z, Roc Nation, the National Football League (NFL), and Pepsi as well as Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige and Kendrick Lamar for joining me in what will be an unforgettable cultural moment.” 

Snoop Dogg, famous West Coast rap legend discovered by Dr. Dre in the 90’s, is most notably known for his rap hits like “Young, Wild, & Free” and “Drop It Like It’s Hot”. Despite the older age of his music, the impact he has made on hip hop as a genre is immeasurable. 

Eminem, American rapper best known for his hits like “Lose Yourself” and “Remember Me?”, will also be gracing the stage alongside these other musical professionals. 

Mary J. Blige, renowned as the “The Queen of Hip-Hop Soul”, is one of the greatest singers in our generation. Known for hits like “Family Affair” and “Real Love”, Blige boasts an impressive collection of nine Grammy awards and has sold over 50 million albums. 

Kendrick Lamar, a Compton-born rapper known for his compelling rhythm and lyricism, will also be gracing the stage. Known for hits like “HUMBLE.” and “DNA.”, Lamar is one of the greatest rappers of the modern age and boasts a skill of symbolism and lyrical talent like few others. 

This all-star lineup of artists excites all football fans and Americans alike. 

“I really love Snoop Dogg and I hope he lights it up at the half-time show,” said AHS sophomore and avid NFL fan Brett Rizzo. 

“Kendrick is heaven-sent so I’m sure he will rock the crowd at half-time,” said sophomore Cindy Tao. 

All in all, the upcoming Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show will be one to look forward to and remember for years to come.