Should You Get the COVID-19 Booster Shot?

Sabrina Lo, Staff Writer

COVID-19 has been one of the hottest topics since last year, as well as one of the deadliest. Ever since vaccines were approved, there was much controversy about the safety of the vaccines. Questions arose regarding whether people should take it or not and how they might not be safe because of the short time spent creating them. According to the LA Times, since Oct. 10, 2021, 67.4% of Californians have received at least one dose of the vaccine. 

However, on Sept. 22, the FDA authorized the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 Booster Shot, for people 65 and older, people 18 to 64 at a high risk of severe COVID-19, and people 18 to 64 whose jobs put them at a high risk. In addition, on Oct. 15, the FDA advisory panel advised everyone who got the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, which was only one dose, to get the Johnson and Johnson booster shot. The panel also encouraged people aged 65 and up to receive the Moderna booster shot. These booster shots are just a replica of the original vaccine. 

The CDC has stated the need for COVID-19 booster shots, which are given to people who have completed both doses of Pfizer, because the protection from the antibodies these vaccines create decrease over time. As a result, the vaccines may be “less able to protect against the Delta variant”, presenting the need for booster shots.

So, why should people be getting the vaccine and booster shot? First of all, these shots are only implemented to help people. Studies show that people who have received both doses of the vaccine are already 90% less likely to end up in a hospital with a serious complication, in comparison with unvaccinated people. After about six to eight months, the antibodies created start to wear off—which is when a booster shot should be enforced. 

Some may wonder, why do the antibodies wear off? Does this mean the scientists didn’t develop the vaccine long enough to create more antibodies that would last longer?

The answer to this is no. Shots including Hepatitis A and B, Varicella, Tetanus, and Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap), offer and may even require booster shots, to keep one’s immunity against the virus longer. The ironic thing is that the Tdap booster shot is required for students in middle and high school, proving that these booster shots are not harmful.

In addition, a common misconception is that people who have already been infected with COVID-19 don’t need the vaccine or the booster, because they have “naturally-made” antibodies. Although it is true that people who have gotten COVID-19 before will have an immunity to it, it is unknown how strong that immunity is, or how long it will last. 

Finally, though the COVID-19 booster shot is currently only available to certain groups of people, it is highly recommended for everyone to get it when the time comes. This is particularly important if you received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which is the only one administered to adolescents ages 12 to 17 at this time. In fact, California Governor Gavin Newsom announced the vaccine mandate for all eligible school aged children, which will be enforced around January to June of 2022.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that everyone, when eligible, should get the booster shot. A few days of side effects is microscopic compared to being on a ventilator and praying for your life. These shots may be the only way for us to return to normal, which is something that we all want. 

Photo Courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM