After the Homecoming Game

Henrina Zhang, Staff Writer

On Oct. 1, Arcadia High School (AHS) had its 2021 Homecoming game against Burroughs High School. From the homecoming assembly to pre-game tailgate to halftime, it was a day of memories. Losing with a score of 19-28, here’s what a few students have to say about the game.

“The most memorable part of the game was running out into the field and seeing everyone there supporting us,” said sophomore Victoria Kenworthy, a player of the AHS Varsity Football team.

“Everyone was having fun that day so it reflected in our playing,” said junior Noah Navarro.

After the well-executed performances at halftime, the Homecoming game ended with a loss of 19-28. Even if AHS did end up losing, there were still highlights, and the Arcadia football team will keep on improving.

“I think the highlight of the game was seeing how well everyone was trying to work together,” said Victoria.

After interviewing a few players, the highlights of the game were the support and strong bond between the team. Everyone enjoyed being able to support and cheer on their teammates. Players Noah Navarro, Morgan Zimmerman, Tyler Lynch, and Victoria Kenworthy reflect on their performance, stating that improving teamwork, applying the coach’s advice, and the recovery of their injured players would be huge strides to their next victory.

“I think I played pretty well since I kept my energy up and I tried to hype up the team while still having to play,” said Noah.

Prior to the football game, a virtual homecoming assembly during third period displayed AHS spirit and performance teams. Starting the day strong, the hallways of AHS were decorated in HOCO chalk art and face-painted students. Losing with a score of 19-28, here’s what a few students have to say about the game. The Pep Squad, Orchesis, and Homecoming Royalty all gave amazing performances, showing off their fantastic skills. Homecoming Court was introduced too, participating in some fun games. Altogether, the Apache News live stream managed to pull together a riveting demonstration of Apache spirit.

Right before the game, from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m., ASB threw a Homecoming tailgate for all students. With music, ping pong, friendship bracelet making, face painting, and free food, this festivity got the air buzzing with excitement. Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors dispersed throughout the rally court, showing off their body paint and vibing to the music.

After all the festivities, the game started. With an invigorating entrance, the AHS Varsity Football team played to the best of their ability but ended the first half 7-28. During halftime, Marching Band, Pep Squad, Seniors of Merit at Work, and Homecoming Court came out. Though morale was low, the Apaches still had the entirety of halftime to enjoy. One of the highlights was definitely the fireworks. The dazzling display of lights and colors was an unforgettable memory.

After the well-executed performances at halftime, the Homecoming game ended with a loss of 19-28. Even if AHS did end up losing, there were still highlights. The Arcadia football team will keep on improving.

Photo by AUSD Digital Communications Intern SOFIA NAGY