Girls Varsity Volleyball Arcadia v. Burroughs Sept. 21

Sabrina Lo, Staff Writer

The Arcadia Varsity Girls Volleyball team has been serving up various exciting games though the season just started recently. On Tuesday, Sept. 21, they faced John Burroughs High School from Burbank. It was a home game, taking place in our very own North Gym. They headed in undefeated, and though the Apaches suffered a tough loss of 3-0, there was much that the girls learned from it.

The pressures imposed on a team can vary greatly depending on whether the team is playing at home or away. Playing away means a new environment, and most likely unfamiliar spectators. On the other hand, playing at home may imply challenges such as feeling the pressure of fans with familiar faces, though COVID has greatly reduced the audience numbers.

“Personally I prefer playing at other schools, especially for the more competitive games. I play my best when I don’t feel too much pressure; when I know a lot of my friends are in the crowd at home games I tend to get into my head a little more”, shared senior Arianna Zhou.

On the other hand, there are some positives to playing at home.

“When we play at our home court, I think we are always excited and hyped to “protect” our home,” said Freshman Olivia Ip.

She also mentioned that the girls appreciate the support from their peers and seeing the faces cheering them on in the stands. They always want to put on their best performances for everyone to see.

Though training every day may be with the same teammates, playing many different teams also often brings on a new obstacle, which is the other team’s strengths. A lot of the reason why results of games fluctuate so much is often more mental than physical. Two schools may be neck and neck with their skills, but the uncertainties of facing a new school are an underestimated factor in the outcome. Both girls mentioned that they believed the reason for their defeat was mental.

“I think when we were playing against Burroughs we were feeling anxious, and let their reputation get the best of us. We’d also just beat Crescenta Valley by a landslide, and I think we were trying to repeat the way we played against CV instead of being confident in the way we played,” Ip shared.

“I think our biggest challenge was that mentally we weren’t ready to play Burroughs, which manifested itself in many small mistakes that cost us. There was a lot of pressure to do well at this game for Pacific League champs, and we let the pressure hinder our performance instead of improve it,” said Zhou.
Finally, our Lady Apaches most prized possession is their spirit, perseverance, and grit. They never let anything stop them, no matter how daunting the task seems.

“Our team is most proud of how we kept on fighting no matter what the score was… One thing that separates us from other teams is that no matter if our team wins or loses it only brings us closer and stronger every time,” said Ip.

“No matter where it happens, I always enjoy playing against other schools, and I’m very thankful we’re able to this year!”, Zhou added.

What powerful messages from Ip and Zhou, who are looking forward to their next home game on Thursday, Oct. 7th, against Crescenta Valley. Come cheer them on at 4:45pm in the North Gym, as well as JV and Frosh!

Photo by DCI