Homecoming 2021

Homecoming+2021

Ashley Chan, Staff Writer

Due to the pandemic, Arcadia High School (AHS) was unable to host a Homecoming event in the 2020-2021 school year. However, with the emergence of COVID-19 safety protocols, Homecoming has been made possible this year. The theme for the 2021-2022 Homecoming is Chasing Sunsets! This was announced on Sept. 7 at lunch in the rally court. Additionally, this event will be located at the Petersen Automotive Museum. The Petersen Automotive Museum is in Los Angeles, and is a nonprofit organization that is all about automobile history.

Along with the Homecoming dance, there are Homecoming festivities leading up to it. The AHS ASB has created a spirit week that will occur from Sept. 27 to Oct. 1. In that week, there will be entertaining activities, including games at the rally court and an AHS spirit day. Another festivity is the Homecoming royalty nominations. Nominations were open from Aug. 31 to Sept. 8, and nominations were posted on the ASB website on Sept. 10. The final royalty voting is sent out to students through email, scheduled for Sept. 22. Homecoming royalty will be officially revealed on Sept. 23 during lunch at the rally court. In total, there will be one princess and one prince per grade level, with an exception to the seniors. The seniors will have three princesses and three princes, and one of those princesses and princes will become Homecoming queen and king. There is also a football game on Oct. 1 at AHS. AHS’ football team will be playing Burroughs High School at 7 p.m. This game will be followed by the Homecoming tailgate party, and then the actual Homecoming dance. 

Homecoming will take place on Saturday, Oct. 2 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., and ticket sales will begin on Sept. 15. Starting on Sept. 15, tickets are $55 with the ASB membership, and $65 without the ASB membership. From Sept. 16 to Sept. 22, tickets are $60 with the membership, and $70 without. During Sept. 23 to Sept. 28, tickets cost $75 with the ASB membership, and $90 if you do not have one. Tickets from Sept. 29 to Sept. 30 are $85 with ASB and $100 without. 

AHS’ Homecoming does not restrict any student from attending, meaning all grade levels are welcome to attend. Students are also allowed to bring outside guests, as long as they submit the guest form by Sept. 13. 

Homecoming is a formal event, so dress to impress! Formal attire is classified as a dress suit, dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes. This dress code also includes short or long dresses. Students should wear what they feel most comfortable in so they will have an optimal time at Homecoming! 

Although businesses and schools have reopened, this does not signify that the pandemic has ceased to exist. COVID-19 is still a dangerous and potentially deadly virus that needs to be taken seriously. Therefore, AHS has issued a mask mandate for Homecoming, meaning masks must be worn at all times. 

Students in all grade levels are looking forward to Homecoming at AHS! 

“I’m looking forward to going to my first dance and spending time with my friends.” remarked freshman Madeline Gil.

“I am looking forward to experiencing my first high school dance along with going to the Homecoming game. I’m excited to go with my friend group, get dressed up, and take a bunch of pictures.” added sophomore Alison Yamada. 

“I’m super excited about going to Homecoming for the first time with my friends this year after not going freshman year and sophomore year. Having this dance after missing an entire year to COVID sounds awesome, and gives a much needed break from school,” said junior Rohit Sampathkumar Anitha. 

I’m so excited about Homecoming because it’s our first all-school dance since Hoco 2019. I’m definitely looking forward to finding out who Hoco royalty will be and seeing all my friends dressed up. Being a senior it’s kind of nostalgic because it’s going to be my last Homecoming dance and I want it to be a good one,” commented senior Kayla Cheung.  

Homecoming is just around the corner! Attend with your friends and create memories that will last a lifetime! 

Photo by Wesley Chen