Favorite Childhood Shows

Elaine Vuong, Staff Writer

Before high school and even middle school, there were many things that have impacted our childhood lives, including the foods we ate, the classes we took, and especially the shows we watched. Some of our favorite childhood shows such as Courage the Cowardly Dog, That’s So Raven, Rugrats, The Powerpuff Girls, Wizards of Waverly Place, and Suite Life of Zack and Cody have ended and are no longer running. Unless you have Netflix, these old shows will be tough to find in good quality. Although moving forward is always a great thing, classic shows such as Teen Titans have been revamped into Teen Titans Go!, a less serious and less plot-based show. Even though some of our shows may have changed or have been discontinued, they had left a deep impression in our childhood.

The shows that have shaped our lives may vary for each person, but overall have a lasting influence. Some major shows that students have watched are Spongebob Squarepants, Phineas and Ferb, and The Fairly Oddparents. “I have always enjoyed watching Spongebob and all the crazy antics he unknowingly did to Squidward” explains junior Cindy Law. Another junior, Giselle Yeh, agrees with Cindy by describing “Spongebob [as being] an important figure in [her] life because the yellow sponge entertained me when I did not have cable.” As we can see, Spongebob was able to provide amusement and recreation for these students in their younger years. Although students have barely any time to enjoy these shows now, many make time even if it’s just a little so they can watch their favorite childhood show.

Despite some parents believing that T.V. shows only negatively impact children, shows such as Pocoyo, and Pororo teach kids the value of friendship and how to develop social skills. Other shows such as Ni Hao, Kai-Lan, Dora the Explorer, and others educate kids on foreign languages and cultures. For instance, Ni Hao, Kai-Lan focuses on making friendships and the Chinese language, with Kai-Lan explaining how to introduce and greet others in Chinese. Therefore, kid shows such as those provide educational information and expand on the idea of socialization and global aspects.

In the future, even when all of us Apaches are grown up with jobs and families, our childhood shows will always be something that we can show to children of our own. Afterall, there is never an age limit to enjoy the things you love.