The Coffee House

The Coffee House

Joy Herrera, Staff Writer

Arcadia High School (AHS) has, like schools across the country, had to adapt to the changing circumstances of quarantine and COVID-19. Some of the most impacted programs have been our liberal arts who rely on the stage to showcase their work. However, through innovative solutions, AHS’ Theatre Department has continued to put on shows. On Jan. 29 to 30 at 7:00 p.m. the Coffee House, a variety show by Arcadia Stage Theatre Company was live streamed on the site, ShowTix4U.

The performance was 50 minutes long and only cost $5. The funds were raised as a part of an effort to provide scholarships for seniors who plan on continuing their pursuit of the theatre in college. The Coffee House consisted of several segments recorded separately but incorporated together including vocal performances, duets, sketches and instrumental performances. 

The night started out strong with senior Rachel Luu’s performance of “Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo. The performance was filmed in a style reminiscent of the music video and it transitioned seamlessly to junior Aurora Cordero-Melo’s performance of “Heather” by Conan Gray. “Heather” was performed in a black and white style which tied into the atmosphere of the song. 

Between each performance, the students were given a chance to express themselves and in particular what drove them to the theatre and music. This allowed them to share a little bit about themselves and about the production. The Coffee House auditions were open to all levels of the theatre company and each performer selected their own piece which allowed a great variety of skills and styles. 

“You get to challenge yourself in so many ways,” said senior Evin Gregor, the next performer. Before, his piece he earnestly conveyed his positive experiences in the theatre and how he was continually driven to try new instruments. 

The next section of the show was focused on musical theatre. Evin performed a duet with senior Ryan Hancock to the song “Agony” from the musical Into the Woods. They masterfully edited the song together to produce a believable effect of singing in unison despite the distance. Seniors Sean Hancock and Rachel Luu followed up the performance with an emotional rendition of “Only Us” from the musical Dear Evan Hansen. Sophomore Marie Sekiguchi followed them with a rendition of “Mystery of Love” by Sufjan Stevens, an original song for the film, Call Me By Your Name

There was a brief intermission between the songs when sophomore Kariena Panpaliya performed an original sketch comedy piece depicting her dramatized experiences in Zoom classes with teachers that are less than understanding of technological issues. 

The show then transitioned into instrumental performances with freshmen Matthew Ho proudly demonstrating his 9 years of experience with the flute with “The Swan.” Evin Gregor followed it up with his interpretation of the Rex Orange County song “Every Way.” Senior Sage Guzman ended the show strong with a return to the music video like performances and astounding vocals during the song “Cherry Wine” by Hozier.

Overall, the Coffee House variety performance was a testament to the skill and creativity of Arcadia Stage even in the worst of circumstances. Make sure to keep a look out for future performances by Arcadia Stage including the upcoming intermediate showcase which will run from Feb. 12 to 13. Tickets are already for sale on the Arcadia Stage Website.

Graphic courtesy of Arcadia Stage