The Importance of the Humanities

The Importance of the Humanities

Jorge Espinoza-Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Nowadays everyone is focused on the future—on what the next big technological breakthrough will be. Will it be flying cars? Robots? Or perhaps the vaccine for COVID-19? Have you ever noticed that the breakthroughs of today are usually considered scientific? But when was the last time you heard about something new in the world of the humanities, and why do these subjects matter when the world is so centered around science?

As states began to become more and more industrialized, the need for engineers began to rise. Whether they worked on railroads or stationary bikes, engineers used science to make life on Earth a bit more bearable. Suddenly, you could travel across the country in a matter of days rather than weeks. People could now travel faster to work, allowing some to even take non-local jobs. Scientific industries exploded. They needed more and more people to design and build new technology. More opportunities in high-paying industries were driving individuals to the scientific rather than the humanistic.

As people living in the 21st century, we are no strangers to the acronym “STEM”, or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Our parents encourage us to pursue careers in this booming business. Recently, my brother, who’s in kindergarten, told me that he wants to become a doctor. When I asked him why, he told me that his teachers told him about all the “cool stuff” that doctors get to do like, “Tell people that they’re sick.”

So I asked him if he knew what lawyers do, or what historians do, or what teachers do—to which he could only explain what the latter does. But he continued the conversation by telling me why he didn’t want to be a scientist, or an astronaut, or a math teacher. My 6-year-old brother was able to explain the tasks that certain STEM professionals do that he had no interest in. But he didn’t know what professionals in the humanities did. See a trend? If not, let me explain. Many people are becoming more inclined towards STEM and share that knowledge with the people around them—in this case, my 6-year-old brother.

According to Pew Research, employment in STEM occupations have risen by 79% since 1990. 

While interest in STEM has gone up, interest in the humanities has declined by 8.7%, an all-time low since 2003. Perhaps it’s due to the high-paying jobs, the interactive parts (like building a computer), or even one’s interest in the area.

But the point is, the humanities are becoming less and less popular. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, universities across the U.S. saw a decline of 22% in English majors and a 15% decline in philosophy and religious studies majors, among declines in many other humanities fields such as history and foreign language. Across the board, humanities programs are struggling to attract students and fewer people are graduating in those fields compared to 10 years ago.

“Why does it matter?” you ask. Why would we choose to dissect Shakespearean poetry when we could be dissecting a human brain? To me, both sound fascinating. But for the sake of the preservation of beloved subjects, allow me to make my case on why the humanities are important.

The humanities contain, but are not limited to, the subjects of history, linguistics, literature, language, philosophy, and fine arts. As you already know, English is part of our everyday life. We hear it, read it, and speak it. The subject of English itself involves far more than writing a book report on Shakespeare (you should really hold him in higher regard; after all, you are speaking Shakespearean). It’s about being able to use the language to adequately express yourself. In terms of history, think of it as a guidebook to make sure that you don’t make the same mistakes people in the past have. 

Philosophy has to do with rationalization and radicalization, both of which founded our very own nation. Without the fine arts, you wouldn’t know what music is, or pictures, or art. And how would you be able to understand somebody else that doesn’t speak your language without studying linguistics?

It’s these very details that are often taken for granted. Many like to see the humanities as part of our past, but that is simply not so. If we take them for granted, how will we be able to continue to add that splash of life to, well, life? No music? No books? No art? Now that sounds like a bleak dystopian novel I have read.

But don’t let my words stop you. If you like math, pursue a math career. If you like biology, become a biologist. All I simply ask is that you take a second to acknowledge everything that the humanities stand for: bridging cultures, fostering creativity, and shaping the future.

Graphic courtesy of PCC.EDU