Girls Varsity Softball Strikes

Ashley Lee, Staff Writer

Three strikes, and you’re out! The Girls Varsity Softball season is well under way, and the girls have been actively playing hard on the softball field. The Lady Apaches had a great opening to their season, beating Canyon High School 5-4 on Mar. 1. They later went on to play in the Simi Valley Tournament, where they unfortunately fell to other teams, with one win, one tie, and two losses. However, they soon came back with a win against Monrovia High School, 2-0. The girls are currently 6-2-1, placing them 2nd in the Pacific League.

With a decently young team this year, there is definitely much for the girls to learn this season, on and off the field. It is important that not only are the team members familiar with each other’s playing styles, but that they also have a close-knit bond within the team. During preseason, the players have familiarized themselves with each other and have trained hard to prepare for this current season. It seems that forming a strong bond within the team was not a problem for these girls, as pitcher sophomore Megan Lau believed that one of the strengths of this year’s team is the strong team chemistry.

One of the goals the team hopes to achieve this year is to make CIF playoffs. Megan shared that the team has “improved a lot since last year” and she is “excited to see how much [they] have developed.” As for herself being the youngest pitcher on the team, one of her goals is to be able to pitch to the best of her ability. Junior May Mathiew’s goal is to “become stronger and faster this season while building a stronger connection with the girls.” The team hopes to continue improving to achieve these goals.

The girls have a busy game schedule ahead of them. They will be playing away at Hoover High School next Tuesday on April. 4, and will also be playing Pasadena High School and Glendale High School at home on Thursday and the following week on Tuesday, respectively. Great job to the softball team for its efforts so far! We wish the girls the best of luck in their path to CIF this season! With its hard work and dedication, the team is guaranteed to succeed.