Classical Music

Classical+Music

Kate Larrick, Staff Writer

If you ask a high schooler who their favorite musician is, they most likely won’t say Beethoven or Chopin. Unfortunately, many high schoolers underestimate classical music. What they don’t know is that classical music is not all old and stale; it can be modern and exciting, and there are even health benefits that come with listening to classical music. 

It is easy to forget that there is more to classical music than Mozart and Bach. While classical music was defined centuries ago, it is still being composed, contrary to popular belief. Composers like Steve Reich, Jennifer Higdon, and Kaija Saariaho are alive and well, and they continue to produce classical music with a modern twist. 

Even the classics can rival 21st century film scores. Senior Ashley Lin recommends Dmitri Shostakovich’s “Romance,” which he composed for a theater adaptation of The Gadfly.

“It builds to a crescendo that can make anyone feel like the main character confronting their fears in a modern film,” Ashley said.

Similarly, the bridge between the third and fourth movements of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony is remarkably goosebump-inducing. As the symphony swells, the tone shifts, and the volume builds, there is no way not to feel heroic; like there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. 

While other types of music raise your heart rate, classical music can lower it. A study by Oxford University found that listening to calming classical music significantly lowered the blood pressure of participants after just 25 minutes of listening. The research showed that music with no lyrics and repetition is especially beneficial for reducing blood pressure, which makes classical music the perfect candidate. Whether students struggle with anxiety or are simply pumped full of caffeine, classical music can help to prevent future issues caused by high blood pressure. 

Even more relevant to the modern high school student is classical music’s ability to reduce stress levels. As we face impending deadlines and a never-ending stack of assignments, stress levels will inevitably increase, which can be detrimental to productivity and general well-being. Scientific research has proven that classical music can lower cortisol levels in the body. It can also help students focus on their homework, since it stimulates the mind without distracting from the task at hand. 

A good night’s sleep is a necessity that high schoolers never seem to get enough of. Listening to classical music before going to bed can improve sleep quality. Naturally, it should be slow and relaxing, with a rhythm of around 60 beats per minute. Perhaps Bach’s Prelude No. 1 will clear some dark circles and help a few sleep-deprived high schoolers get a full eight hours. 

Photo courtesy of WALLPAPERCAVE.COM