Thank You, Mom

Anya Yang, Features Editor

When reflecting on those who have shaped my life in monumental ways, the strongest woman I know comes to mind every timemy mother. Biased or not, she is undoubtedly one of the most inspiring individuals I’ve ever known. With each warm hug, piece of advice, and valuable life lesson taught in the form of an ancient Chinese proverb, so much in my life has been impacted by the extraordinary love and wisdom my mother has given me.

She has moved across the world twice, the second time alone, stuck with two children and a fully-furnished house to pack up. She has worked tirelessly with my father, the two of them developing their own financial company from a small home office in New Zealand to a building in Pasadena. She has raised three children in three different countries, finally settling in Southern California with the hopes of being able to provide the social and educational opportunities that she never had in China.

Though I am eternally grateful for the multitude of sacrifices she has made for the sake of our family, it’s often the smaller gestures that make me take a step back and revel in the kindness of her character. At 6:30 a.m. sharp, Monday through Friday, my mother rubs the sleep out of her eyes while stir-frying my favorite salmon teriyaki—just so that my thermos is ready by the time I have to leave for school. She often tells me that the sluggishly cold mornings spent in the kitchen will all be worth it, so long as I’ll be able to look back at my high school days in the future and smile at the memory of her tenderly home-cooked lunches. Having a delicious, authentic Chinese dish every day certainly beats a cafeteria hamburger, but it isn’t the food that makes this tradition so special. It is the love and care she puts into this small act of kindness, sacrificing a precious hour in bed just to ensure that I’ll be satisfied at school—and satisfied, I am. Truly nothing on this Earth compares to my mother’s cooking.

My mother’s patience, wisdom, and selflessness are all traits that I can only hope to have in the future. Her zest for life has trickled into my own perception of the world, and I cannot wait for the day we travel the globe with each other. Currently, our bucket list includes jet-setting to Tokyo for her favorite tonkatsu ramen and spending Christmas in a snowy Swiss cottage together.

Not a day goes by where I don’t appreciate all that my mother has done for me. She has taught me the most important lessons in life, alongside valuable Chinese checkers strategies and mahjong tactics. She has given me some of the best advice, regarding both feelings and fashion faux pas. She has been remarkably compassionate in my times of failure, and has uplifted me in my moments of success. But more than anything, she has shown me what it means to love someone unconditionally. 

Thank you, 妈妈. I love you.