Thank You, Mr. Wang

Linda Qiu, Staff Writer

This November, Teacher Appreciation Month, gratitude should be extended to Mr. Wang, one of the most likeable and inspiring teachers at Arcadia High School (AHS).

Few things are more influential on a student’s engagement and conduct in the classroom than the teacher they have. Once in the classroom, teachers hold a significant amount of authority over the students they teach. This can translate into catastrophe for a student’s education—or it can lead to the student flourishing and legitimately learning. Mr. Wang’s teaching fosters the latter.

For me personally, Mr. Wang’s Modern World History class led me to re-engage my interest in history. It went from a subject I previously was completely disinterested in to my favorite. His engaging lessons, coupled with his funny quips and conversations during discussions with students, drew not only me, but also many others into becoming genuinely interested in what was being taught. Not only that, his sense of humor and style of teaching made him very engaging. Mr. Wang made it very clear to his students that he is available to support his students’ learning and assist them so they can fully understand subject matter.

Mr. Wang is a lenient and sympathetic teacher, but firm and strict when it most matters. Rather than purely lecturing, his teaching style frequently centers on class discussion, ensuring that students remain engaged and participatory in lessons. His students have frequently expressed that they learned a great deal from him and genuinely enjoyed his class. His actions, whether inside the classroom, outside the classroom, on social media, or in one-on-one conversations with students, reflect a real commitment to teaching as well as deep thought and care about everything, from the performance of a single student to the state of worldwide current issues today.

He has taught basically all of the classes in the history department at AHS; this wide range of experience coupled with his seventeen years teaching at AHS means he has left an incredible impact on AHS’ current students, alumni, and community as a whole.

Education is a two-way relationship, and Mr. Wang contributes far more than enough to his end of it. He has said this himself: If his students are succeeding, then he’s succeeding. This mindset has been and continues to be reflected in his actions. Thank you, Mr. Wang, for being both an effective teacher and an inspiring role model for the thousands of students who have been touched by your guidance.