Thank You, Mr. Delfin

Abby Choy, Features Editor

Mr. Delfin’s classroom is nothing like other teachers’ classrooms. Ink drawings stretch across walls alongside Lana Del Rey’s music welcoming students into another day of English. Mr. Delfin’s AP Language class isn’t a class to just show up in. It’s a place to evolve beliefs, a place to think about the world around us and how we can impact it.

There’s no doubt that we value the STEM fields heavily, almost glorifying them. Future doctors, engineers, and coders find themselves flourishing with the approval of parents and strangers. However, aspiring artists and writers are shrugged off, asked what they can contribute to society. Mr. Delfin emphasizes the connection between the humanities and the world in his class. There’s only so much science and math can do to advocate for social justice, for the world at large. These movements are made through cultural shifts, a byproduct of the arts and years of writing. He emphasizes the importance of following politics and modern news so students can participate in discussion about these events.

Between the Music Mondays and documentaries, Mr. Delfin allows students to practice their analysis skills beyond Shakespearean texts and other classics. Even while reading the classics, he inspires his students to connect the themes in the books to real life situations. His ability to engage students in text while keeping it entertaining through his jokes and relatability are a testament to his skill. Even beyond his class, the critical thinking skills acquired are invaluable in developing their own opinions and scruitizing other people’s ideas.

Students will also find themselves extremely thankful for Mr. Delfin’s sympathy for the stresses that come with being an Arcadia High School student. He understands that students are juggling both academics and extracurricular activities, and more so, his assignments are always manageable. Whether or not he’s leaving a comment to tell you to sleep because you submitted an assignment at 3:00 a.m. or pointing out the blatant misogyny and racism in the classics, Mr. Delfin is definitely approachable to anyone. A few steps into his classroom and students can feel at ease no matter what’s happening that day… unless there’s a test. The great atmosphere inspires others to talk more during discussions and build a community where even the people halfway across the room are friends.

Even if incoming students don’t feel a particular affinity for English, Mr. Delfin has a way of bringing them in with his personality. Whether it be his horse-shampooed hair or his dramatic reading of The Sun Also Rises with Drake playing in the background, Mr. Delfin’s class will definitely be a highlight of their year.