Thank You, Ms. Leahy

Emma Chen, Margaret Lin, and Jocelyn Thao

In the absence of the harsh school bell, a sequence of chimes marks the beginning of third period AP U.S. Government & Politics for Constitution Team and its teacher and coach, Ms. Leahy.

Listen baby, ain’t no mountain high
Ain’t no valley low, ain’t no river wide enough baby

28 students wait for a tiny green box with an image of the Dodgers’ baseball field to pop up behind the familiar face of their teacher. The uplifting sound of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell’s “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” draws them out of the dull repetitiveness of previous classes, marking a refreshing start for the period of constitutional learning ahead.

Although we are miles apart
If you ever need a helping hand
I’ll be there on the double
Just as fast as I can

With Meditation Mondays and regular stress checks, Ms. Leahy does her utmost to ensure the well-being of her students—even from a distance. She is considerate of other stresses that may be weighing on her students, occasionally giving time in class to work on whatever they need to help relieve some of that stress, in turn allowing them to better focus on their studies of the Constitution—a win-win for each individual student and for the team as a whole.

Ms. Leahy puts in her best effort to provide the team with the best experience possible. Prioritizing team dynamic, she encourages gatherings beyond team-related work and resource sharing between units, sometimes even designating class time for non-academic social time. The sheer number of hours that go into researching, studying, and practicing prove that being on Constitution Team is no simple feat, something she is well aware of. Knowing the anxiety that runs through each team member’s mind before their unit is up to present Monday night chambers, she instructs them to simply try their best—that their tireless preparations will shine through and that even their failures will only serve to strengthen them in the future.

My love is alive (woo)
Way down in my heart

As the head coach of Constitution Team, Ms. Leahy guides every one of her students through the challenging but incredibly meaningful process of learning to understand and appreciate our founding document. As an educator, she is especially receptive and understanding of the anxieties of her students and makes a sincere effort to ease stresses. And as a friend, she is always quick to remind her students that she is there for them. For Ms. Leahy, there truly ain’t no mountain high enough to keep her from being there for her students.