Thank You, Ms. Bishop

Chloe Wong, Staff Writer

Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, many incoming freshmen at Arcadia High School (AHS) hadn’t known what to expect from their first year of high school. Most students had heard the rumors about AHS: that the educators were strict, the workload unmanageable, and the student body so competitive that there was no way a high school tenure could be the best four years of your life. At least regarding the teachers, it was assumed that students wouldn’t have to worry too much—when all of your classes are on Google Meets or Zoom, you don’t have much of a chance to get to know other kids very well, much less the adults.

This year, all of the teachers at AHS have made a sincere effort to connect to their students virtually, but Ms. Bishop, the freshman English teacher, strives to do so every day that students are in class. Every morning when her class logs on to their Zoom meet, she greets them with a smile and an enthusiastic good morning—and if it’s a Monday, Ms. Bishop never fails to inquire what they spent the weekend doing. Granted, she doesn’t get an answer every time, but someone will usually unmute themselves or type something into the chat in reply, prompting conversations that we might not have had without her creating them. Even though a lot of kids are shy in class and don’t always speak up, it’s admirable how Ms. Bishop creates a friendly environment over Zoom and encourages classmate bonding.

Furthermore, Ms. Bishop is genuinely interested in the subject she teaches. Her passion comes through during her tri-weekly lessons. She encourages her students to think beyond a simple analysis of similes and metaphors; whether they are reading short stories or poetry, she understands the deeper meanings behind all of the works we read. Stories like “The Flowers” and “The Most Dangerous Game”, which contain mature themes and references to human nature, might be boring if taught by another teacher. But because Ms. Bishop is always so engaged in teaching her students, learning in her class doesn’t ever feel like a chore. Students are pressed to realize the deeper meaning of the text, and Ms. Bishop’s clear and accurate materials make completing classwork much easier.

In conclusion, while this school year has had its trials and tribulations, we should all be thankful for the educators at AHS. We’re all putting our best foot forward during distance learning. It’s nice to have a teacher who you can depend on both as an educator and a caring person. Ms. Bishop is an example of creating such a healthy learning environment, and she should be proud of what she’s accomplished through remote learning!