Thank You, Technology

Stephanie Wang, Staff Writer

Even with the end of the year fast-approaching, 2020 has not relented with its barrage of disasters and bizarre events, continuing to disrupt the existing normal and forcing everyone across the globe to find other ways of carrying on with their lives. As people all over the world continue to adapt in response to the ever-changing challenges posed by the pandemic, natural disasters, and social and political tensions, many have fallen back on one of the most important constants of the modern world: technology. While access to technology is certainly something many people take for granted—after all, there aren’t many who think of that every time they scroll through their phone or log onto a Zoom call—it has played a crucial, yet overlooked, role in maintaining the delicate balance of the pandemic-era normal. Despite the accusations and scares of misinformation and privacy breaches that have painted technology in a bad light in recent years, by being a means of obtaining credible, timely information and maintaining interconnectivity between people—both of which have become even more important with the myriad of challenges that have been present this year—it has undoubtedly enhanced the well-being of everyone with access to it.

For essential workers and everyone working around the clock to battle the coronavirus, technology has helped greatly with contact tracing and the distribution of information critical to controlling the spread of the virus, and not to mention, research for a means to the end of the pandemic. For advocates of social justice, technology has provided a platform to share opinions and unify entire groups of like-minded people, as well as spread awareness of issues that were once isolated to their corners of the world. For everyone in general, technology has become a staple of the “new normal”, connecting friends and family amidst the physical isolation of the pandemic with an alternative form of interaction, granting students and professionals access to continue their educations or careers, and providing a support system and an outlet for the increased stresses and frustrations for those impacted by these exceptionally tough times. Of course, the increased use of the Internet has also amplified the spread of misinformation and its many other harmful side-effects, but in a world gripped by a pandemic, an economic slump, social unrest, and for Americans, a tense political atmosphere, the many helpful uses of technology have undoubtedly played a large part in keeping people across the globe safe and sane.

As these times of uncertainty, doubt, and anxiety leech into the season of giving, thankfulness, and holiday spirit, there has never been a better time to appreciate the usefulness of technology and its capacity to mitigate times of hardship. While technology certainly isn’t a cure-all when dealing with all of this year’s problems, there’s no question that it will continue to play a huge role in helping us all weather these unprecedented times and the hardships sure to lie ahead.