Thank You, ZCircus

Tanya Lee, Student Life Editor

In a world of Internet memes and an ever-growing list of slang, there’s the clown. Images of photoshopped rainbow wigs and red noses, clown emojis, references to the icon can be found everywhere. The ZCircus is but one example.

To most, the ZCircus is better known as the team of individuals behind the digital album Zsunderverse: Iridescence. Led by ZSunder, a talented young producer well-known within the fanbase of the K-pop group LOONA, it started as just a music project. However, it eventually evolved into its current state: the one and only ZCircus.

As a group of self-proclaimed clowns, there is no shortage of content. Every so often, a member will initiate a “cursed image dump” that can either leave you rolling on the floor laughing or wishing you could scrub your eyes with soap and water. The conversations are jam-packed with quotable moments, including interesting typos and passionate emotions toward fruits. Custom Discord emojis include cropped baby images of the members and warped GIFs.

But beneath the clownery lies an irreplaceable bond. The group was brought together by music and it is music that has kept them together. Members post demos of songs they’re producing or projects they’re working on. With feedback from the other members, each successive draft becomes more and more complex, blooming like a flower until it reaches its final, magnificent stage. Song recommendations pop up from time to time, whether it be a mainstream pop track or a new single from a lesser-known artist. Even though the album has been released for quite a while, members occasionally work together on new music projects. Oftentimes, when a member posts a new video on their YouTube channel, other members will flood the comment section with love and support.

Even beyond music, the ZCircus is incredibly supportive. Whenever it’s somebody’s birthday, the channel will be flooded with birthday messages. Any time somebody tries to take steps towards a dream that they have, they’re left with many well-wishes for their success, regardless of what the dream is. Sometimes it’s pursuing a career in music, other times it’s making moves on a crush. If somebody’s struggling with real-life issues, the members are always incredibly understanding and try their best to help any way that they can.

The community is fascinatingly unique. Coming from all different backgrounds, perhaps the one thing that every member has in common is a love for music. The cultural diversity within the group is extraordinary, and there are often discussions about the different situations in different countries. Participating in the conversation is often both entertaining and educational, as members learn about phrases in different languages, unique foods in different regions, and more.

The atmosphere of the ZCircus is irreproducible, bouncing back and forth between extremely chaotic and uniquely academic. Either way, it’s an incredibly supportive community that is truly worth thanking.