2020 California Propositions

Bryan Lim, Staff Writer

This year, California citizens voted on different matters such as letting app-based drivers become independent contractors. There are many different types of propositions going upwards of 25 different propositions. However, the voting system is quite complicated.

“The way I explain it. It is the California voter is a paradox wrapped in a contradiction that presents a dilemma,” said David McCuan, a political science professor at Sonoma State University. 

One proposition that has been approved by the Californian people is Prop. 17. Prop. 17 gives citizens who are on parole a chance to vote in elections. Before this proposition was approved, California law prevented people from voting if they were imprisoned or on parole for a felony. However, the proposition allows for the second half of the law to be removed and permits parolees to vote. There were many supporters, such as the American Civil Liberties Union. However, there were many who opposed this proposition, such as Senator Jim Nielsen. 

A very notable proposition that was approved by California was Prop. 22. Prop. 22 classified app-based drivers, such as those of Uber or DoorDash, as independent contractors instead of regular employees. Contract workers are people who are independent and work on a contract for a business. Due to this proposition, these independent contractors are not covered by state employment laws covering such things as minimum wage, unemployment insurance, and workers’ compensation; they would still be entitled to other compensation such as healthcare subsidies and vehicle insurance. However, with employees working on a contract system, they can decide what they want out of the job. The supporters of this proposition were companies such as Uber and Lyft, while opponents included President-elect Joe Biden. 

However, some propositions didn’t receive enough votes to get passed. This includes Prop. 23. Prop. 23 details how dialysis clinics, specifically for kidney failures, are required to have at least one physician available while the patients are being treated. An argument against this proposition would be how it would cost the clinics more money to hire more physicians, while supporters argued that the increased regulations would make the clinic safer for patients. Some supporters included the Service Employees International Union Healthcare, while some opponents against Prop. 23 were the California Medical Association. 

All in all, voting on California’s propositions are important because citizens can decide whether or not these laws are good for the community, or if the propositions aren’t good to have in the state. 

Photo courtesy of GRITDAILY.COM