Clubs Day’s Shift to an Online Format

Greg Wang, Staff Writer

Clubs Day, an event normally held during lunch, was forced to transition to an online format due to the pandemic. In a normal situation, students would have typically navigated through a labyrinth of students looking for new clubs to join or to sign up for clubs they joined last year. However, the bustling scene vanished this year as students searched for clubs to join on the new Clubs Day website. 

“Similar to how a student would go around the S-building courtyard getting information and signing up for clubs they’re interested in, virtual Clubs Day [was] the same,” said Clubs Commissioner senior Megan Ngo. “The website has all the information you would need to know about a club, such as their website, sign up form, Instagram, meeting time, and even videos and pictures. The website is organized by what day the clubs meet so that students can compare the ones on the same day to see which they want to attend.”

The website has three tabs in the top left corner, which help with navigation. The first tab allows users to return to the homepage and view featured clubs. The second tab can be used to find clubs, which have been sorted by their meeting days. Each club has a different drop-down tab that displays the information for the club, such as their meeting time, their website, and their Instagram account. Clubs with videos have their video attached on the right side of the screen.

“Clubs were also given the option of hosting a live informational meeting from 1:00-4:00 the links to these meetings can also be found on the website,” said Megan.

The third tab sorts the meeting links by time, making it easy for users to find the meeting links. Due to this change, clubs have had to change how they attract new members.

“During Clubs Day, we [planned] on showing an informational presentation about our mission, the activities we do during meetings, and the events we attend. We [followed up] with a quick Kahoot, with everything from environmental fun facts to what time we meet as a club. Similar information as the presentation and lots of pictures can also be found on our website. We are also hosting a quick giveaway through social media for those who [reposted] our information and [attended] Clubs Day,” said Sierra Club Vice President junior Kate Fletcher.

“Since everything is online, we definitely had to get creative as to how we would run our Clubs Day meeting. To start, we are advertising through our Instagram, as well as on our website… We plan to utilize the trivia game platform Kahoot in order to engage our attendees, have fun, and bond as a group. We are also taking a vote as to how we will be communicating in the future as a club, whether it is a Google Classroom page, Facebook group, or other app.”

The new format was a new experience for attendees. However, sophomore Samantha Tsai believed that the new format would be an improvement over the original. 

“It’ll probably be easier for people to join clubs since officers won’t be able to harass students to join their clubs,” said Samantha. 

You can visit the virtual Clubs Day website here.

Photo courtesy of AHS ASB