Popular Gen Z Literature

Popular Gen Z Literature

Lilian Chong, Staff Writer

In the rise of innumerable social conflicts including social justice, gender equality, student debt, and many other issues, Generation Z has collectively been the most active group in advocating for and promoting social change across the globe. Various authors from multiple generations have published books, magazines, and articles revolving around social topics, including gender and race discrimination, teen perspectives, and women’s empowerment. With literature echoing injustice across the globe, Gen Z can expand its knowledge of prevalent issues and understand many heart-touching perspectives. Let us dive deeper into the power of literature and explore the endless variety of our favorite modern literature.

They Both Die In the End

As frank as the title reads, the book stars two Latinx lovestruck teenage boys, Mateo and Rufus, who are trapped in a world where death is inescapable. American author Adam Silvera published They Both Die At The End in 2017 as young adult LGBTQ+ literature. As a unique romantic novel, the author focuses on gay teenage love life and heavily emphasizes gangsters, misconduct, and slang. As Mateo and Rufus race against the ticking clock, they spend every last minute together from once strangers to soulmates. Throughout the novel, the two isolated characters learn that finding true soulmates is the ultimate remedy to curing loneliness. The novel provides insight into the tragedy of life, where death haunts and disrupts the pure happiness of life. 

History Is All You Left Me

Another remarkable piece by Adam Silvera, History Is All You Left Me, reveals the destruction of jealousy and hatred. The novel introduces three main characters Griffin, Theo, and Jackson. After Theo, Griffin’s ex-boyfriend, dies from a drowning accident, Griffin has a difficult time letting go of the love he had for Theo. However, when Griffin finds out that Jackson was Theo’s other boyfriend, he becomes outraged and incessantly blames Jackson for Theo’s death. Through a series of constant rage, grief, jealousy, and reminiscing, Griffin recalls all his memories and past with Theo. The novel also uncovers a major character development for Griffin. 

Beautiful Boy

Beautiful Boy, published in 2008, is a heartbreaking, tragic story that narrates a father’s journey through his son’s addiction to drugs. American author David Sheff shares his narrative of what it was like handling a drug user in the family. Throughout the novel, he recalls and cherishes all the beautiful moments where he saw his loving, smart, athletic, and perfect son. It wasn’t until then that the ugly side of humanity stole David’s innocent, pure son, Nic, away. Through a series of trials and errors and fighting, the story reveals the true struggles of a loving father who never failed to give up on his drug-addicted son. 

Homegoing

In eighteenth-century Ghana, two half-sisters reside in two completely different villages. The separation of the two sisters determines the next eight-generations they lead throughout the novel. Ghanaian-American novelist Yaa Gyasi showcases the ancestral journey of two half-sisters: one marries an Englishman from the Cape Coast Castle and the other gets captured and sent off to America, introducing the gap between the advantaged and the disadvantaged. The novel gives insight into the American Civil War, the Jazz Age Harlem, and the destructive legacy of slavery.

Everything I Never Told You

In a mixed-race Chinese-American family residing in a small town in Ohio, a Chinese father and his children learn that their separation from the dominantly white culture community affects their status in society. Everything I Never Told You by American writer Celeste Ng brings her readers through a heartbreaking journey of a family that is destroyed from the loss of its favorite child, Lydia Lee. The novel paints a sensitive family portrait that reveals domestic struggles and parental expectations.

Girls of Paper and Fire

Girls of Paper and Fire narrates several Asian female survivors fighting against a toxic society that condones sexual abuse and misogyny towards women. English writer Natasha Ngan explores prevalent themes, including women’s empowerment, LGBTQ+ representation, and sexual abuse. The story also espouses the notion that women are independent in overcoming violence/trauma and redeeming their identity and body.  

A Little Life

A Little Life, one of the most favored modern classics, reveals an epic journey of four classmates: Willem, JB, Malcolm, and Jude, who come from a small Massachusetts college, moving to New York to chase big careers. American novelist Hanya Yanagihara introduces friendships, ambitions, and challenges faced by the four broke but talented college students who unveil the darkest realities of life.

From a Gen Z Perspective

Gen Z novels are often gripping page-turners that leave readers the ability to relate themselves to the main ideas and characters of the story. One AHS student shares how Gen Z literature has tremendously influenced her perspectives on complex societal issues. 

“I think Gen Z literature is relevant in the world we live in today. Gen Z books have helped shape my understanding of many different topics like racial discrimination, LGBTQ+ struggles, women’s empowerment, etc. They are thought-provoking and sometimes heart-touching; it has also allowed me to walk in the shoes of others and truly understand their experiences and hardships,” said sophomore Katelyn Gunawan. 

As we dive deeper into understanding our society, we become more aware of other perspectives that exist not only within us but also around us. The power of modern literature empowers our senses and abilities to acknowledge the flaws that exist within our community. Now, grab one of these books, relax in your recliners, and appreciate the power of our favorite Gen Z novels. 

Graphic courtesy of PINTEREST.COM