Thai Authorities Shut Down Student Protests

Linda Qiu, Staff Writer

Young protesters who have gathered across Bangkok starting Wednesday night are calling for a reform of the Thai monarchy, leading authorities to turn to censorship to try and shut down the demonstrations. Protestors’ calls for reductions in monarchical powers and a new constitution grow, but the Thai government has vowed to protect the monarchy.

“The government has been doing its best to compromise,” said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to reporters at Government House on Monday, Oct. 19. “All I asked is to avoid destroying governmental and public properties… The thing the government must do is to protect the monarchy. This is the duty for all Thai citizens to perform.”

For decades, the monarchy has held an extremely powerful position in Thailand; the dissolution of the progressive Future Forward Party earlier this year in late February triggered waves of protests that initially were halted due to COVID-19, but have since then resurged.

The protests are led by students and consist mainly of young people but have rallied people of all ages from all parts of the country. In demonstrating for their democracy, protestors risk detainment and long prison sentences (possibly for life), as well as injuries from water cannons used by Thai authorities to disperse protestors.

In response to the mass demonstrations, Thailand authorities are turning to censorship to try to suppress dissent. The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission confirmed it had been ordered to block access to Telegram, a messaging app utilized by demonstrators around the world, and they are currently speaking to internet service providers about doing so.

Thai police have searched buildings that may contain controversial perspectives, and possess the ability to block access to new sites they determine holds “distorted information,” according to deputy police spokesman Kissana Phatarcharoen.

“Bona fide journalists should be allowed to report important developments without the threat of bans, suspensions, censorship or prosecution hanging over them,” stated the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand. The Thai government’s usage and threats of censorship make them appear “heavy-handed and unresponsive to criticism, and could stir up even more public anger.”

A leaked copy of a censorship request by the Thailand government is circulating on social media. It reveals calls to block access to a number of sites sympathetic to the protest movement, including Voice TV, The Reporters, Prachatai, Free Youth, and The Standard. Authorities have warned they will take legal action against people who promote the protests on social media.

Photo courtesy of NYTIMES.COM