Virtual Dance Classes

Vritti Godani, Staff Writer

Many dance studios have started to open up and get back to normal. However, my dance studio decided against opening up again, and we have been online since March of 2020. Dancing in person and virtually both have their pros and cons. 

There is nothing like dancing in a studio, the loud music bouncing off the walls, the cold air sweeping your skin as you glide across the floor and your body just naturally moving along with your peers. However, most dancers tend to critique themselves very harshly when dancing in a studio because of the sight of people around them being more flexible or stronger than they are. When dancing virtually, I have found that I feel motivated to do better and to push myself, and I also do not compare myself to other dancers because I usually pin the instructor or teacher. 

Nothing can make me feel the way dancing in a studio does. Dancing in a studio is kind of like an escape. You are surrounded by other dancers and loud music, and most of the time you are so focused that you forget about everything else and all your worries. Some dancers feel more motivated in a studio because they feel the need to please their teachers. Depending on your current living situation, a studio might be more spacious than where you would dance during virtual classes. 

An anonymous dance teacher from Center Stage Dance Academy in Monrovia said, “Teaching students virtually has been very difficult. Most kids don’t have space to stretch and move around and others have noisy households and chaotic environments that affect how well they focus.” 

Dance studios also tend to provide equipment and facilities for dancers that they might not have at home. Equipment such as foam rollers, weights, turning and stretching equipment, and most importantly mirrors and barres can be expensive, and many people do not have enough room to keep all of their equipment. 

Dancing virtually can also be very difficult. There can be many obstacles such as internet issues, tight spacing, bad lighting, or noisy households that can make dancing virtually impossible. Dancer Emilie Conner said, “My room is pretty small and dancing has been very difficult. It’s hard for my teachers to see me and give me corrections. Sometimes, it’s also hard for me to see and hear my teacher. Technical difficulties are also something I hate and most of the time I spend more time trying to get back into the meeting rather than dancing.” 

However, online dance classes also have their own benefits. Dancing has helped people connect with others during quarantine, and it has also helped people with their anxiety and other issues. Many dancers have improved immensely while dancing virtually, and they find themselves being driven and motivated to test their abilities and always push themselves. Online dance classes are also available to anyone, no matter how far they live from the studio. 

In conclusion, dancing virtually and dancing in a studio both have their pros and cons. Some dancers prefer virtual classes while others prefer in-person classes. Either way, dance classes have many benefits and are always enjoyable, but I, like many other dancers cannot wait to get back in the studio. 

Photo courtesy of KENNEDY-CENTER.ORG