Newly Renovated Track at AHS

Sean Yang, Staff Writer

AHS’ track has been a big part of its history as many competitions and events have been held on the resilient track. After 33 years, the high school has finally renovated the track and runners are excited to use it once the heavy restrictions from COVID-19 have finally been lifted.

The track at AHS is very famous as it has held many Arcadia Invitationals with Olympians even competing at the events. The Invitational first began when the track coach in 1968, Doug Smith, got the idea to hold evening track meets. The event was small at first with 23 schools competing, but its popularity would skyrocket when the high school installed one of the first all-weather tracks in 1987. 

This raised the level of the meet quite substantially as it is a much better surface to race on than the dirt tracks that most facilities had”, said current track coach, Coach Chris Schultz. Since 1987, the track was resurfaced in 2012, but it has not gotten a full renovation until now. Over the years, 32 national records have been set at the Arcadia Invitational and many more are to come on this newly renovated track.

Since we are under quarantine, members of the track team are unable to have their usual practice at school, which means they need to find time to train at their own accord. In class, Coach Schultz provides members of the team with workouts that they need to do, but lately because of the poor air quality, they are free to choose what workouts to perform. Members of the team usually still run so they are able to stay in shape in preparation for the upcoming season. 

The original track is being renovated because the heat was causing bubbling under the surface of the track which in turn created little bumps that appeared on the surface of the track. These rough bumps create an unpleasant feeling on the feet when running on the track, and this renovation will allow the track to be more comfortable to run on. Since the runners also wear spikes when racing, 33 years of events held at the track has caused the rubber to tear up, which has affected the traction negatively. Renovating the track will fix all of these problems and will provide a smooth experience.

Many members of the track team have also shown their interest in the new track. “I think the new track looks really good and I can’t wait for the track season to start,” said senior Nathan Wang, who is on the Varsity Track team.

“It seems very nice and should definitely be a great experience to run on,” said senior George Hitti, who is also on the Varsity Track team. “Once we get back to school, all classes who use the track should definitely feel a smoother experience”.

This new renovated track not only benefits the track team, but all students who employ the use of it. Once students are able to return back to the school, they should undoubtedly feel a difference in the track that they used to run on. The surface should feel smoother, the traction should stick, and it should be a good experience overall. This may be one of the few moments where we are able to touch a fresh track as it will no doubt be many more years until it gets renovated once again.

Photo courtesy of Tony Barrios