Ways to Celebrate Graduation at Home

Kali Tam, Staff Writer

High school seniors all over the world have worked for many years to get where they are today, only to have many of their important milestones, including graduation, taken away by the pandemic. While graduation this year definitely won’t look like what you originally planned for it to be like, there are still many other ways you can celebrate this huge accomplishment from the comfort of your home. 

1. Host a Drive-By Party 

Hosting a drive-by graduation event is the perfect way for you to see everyone in person while still maintaining social distancing guidelines. All you need to do is send out virtual invitations, decorate your yard with your future school colors, and wait for your friends and family to drive along to celebrate. To make it extra special, you can even leave a jar or box of some sort in the front yard and ask guests to write down pearls of wisdom or their favorite memories with you. 

1. Have a Photoshoot

Since most of us have received our caps and gowns, we can still take grad photos with our families. With parks and other recreational places opening up everywhere, there are plenty of outdoor options for you to choose to go to. But, if you want to stay indoors, you can embellish the house with DIY backdrops and photo walls or bring in 2020 themed props to brighten up the picture.  

1. Virtual Graduation Party 

Video calling has become quite prevalent in the past few months, with it replacing all the classes and hangouts that we used to have. So, why not take advantage of it and celebrate graduation through another call with all the important people in your life? Send invites out with the meeting ID and encourage all your guests to dress up in grad-themed attire. From there, you can decide to just talk or organize some sort of activity—online party games like Jackbox, karaoke, and more! Senior Josie Chen, who will be hosting a large video call with her friends during the week of graduation, states that she decided to do so since “it is extremely important to stay in touch and catch up with each other in the midst of everything that has been going on.” Not only that, but she also believes that it would give “everyone an opportunity to gain closure with the end of senior year and reminisce at the past few years that [they’ve] spent together.” 

No matter how you choose to celebrate your accomplishment, just remember to continue being proud of yourself for not only prevailing through so many years of schooling but also a whole unprecedented pandemic.

Photo courtesy of STLTODAY.COM