Benefits of Eating Breakfast

Leilani Wetterau, Staff Writer

We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but did you know that eating breakfast can supposedly reduce mortality? Recent studies have discovered that eating breakfast and equally sized meals throughout the day offers the greatest health benefits, compared to other eating habits.

One particular article by Endocrine Today showcases a study focused on patients with specific health concerns, such as diabetes or cardiovascular disease, and the impact that introducing different sizes of breakfast has had on their health. Dr. Tianshu Han, along with other colleagues, conducted a study at the Harbin Medical University School of Public Health in China on the effects of a caloric gap between dinner and breakfast. After studying the data of 4,699 adult patients, the researchers concluded that consuming a large difference in calories between dinner and breakfast reduces life expectancy. In other words, eating a large dinner and a small or nonexistent breakfast increases mortality. The researchers emphasized the vitality of humans to evenly distribute calories throughout the day, rather than omitting breakfast and having a sizable dinner.

According to the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU, breakfast fuels your body after a night of fasting, hence the term “break-fast.” The article on their website stated that those who eat breakfast are more likely to meet their nutritional needs. 

They noted, “When children skip breakfast, they generally don’t make up for key nutrients missed in that first meal, like iron, calcium and protein, later in the day.”

Another key point was that breakfast reduces the risk of obesity. Breakfast helps to regulate appetite, along with the amount of calories burned each day. 

Additionally, the benefits of eating breakfast span far beyond health concerns. Eating breakfast is linked to productivity and an overall healthy lifestyle. Those who do not eat breakfast often experience headaches, dizziness, irritability, and inability to concentrate. As a student, it’s especially important to fit in a morning meal before school for the maximum academic performance.

Most people understand that breakfast is an important meal of the day, but even so, only 34% of Americans actually take part in it. Common reasons for skipping breakfast include unaffordability or lack of time. 

Sophomore Joy Huang explained, “In the mornings, I’m usually running, doing homework, or watching a show, so I get distracted from going to the kitchen to eat a proper breakfast.” 

Luckily, there are solutions to many issues associated with breakfast. For example, many schools offer free breakfasts for students in low-income families. Additionally, those in a time crunch can opt for quicker breakfast ideas, such as cereal, or through meal prepping the night before.

Junior Alyssa Torres said, “I eat breakfast because it helps me to not eat [an excessive] amount of food throughout the day… It helps to build my healthy lifestyle. Not missing breakfast encourages me to eat intuitively and not eat junk food.”

Although breakfast is extremely vital, more important than when you eat, is what you eat. It is important to have a mix of carbohydrates, proteins, healthy fats, and fiber to kickstart your day. The combination of these nutrients are critical for your health and will sustain fullness for long periods of time. Those who eat a balanced breakfast benefit from comparatively higher physical, emotional, and mental strength. Simply having breakfast may not be the only necessity for optimal health, but by regulating your mood, satiating hunger, and increasing productivity, breakfast is the best way to start the day!

Graphic courtesy of VECTEEZY.COM