UC Approves Changes for Standardized Testing Requirements

Sandi Khine, Staff Writer

In the midst of a pandemic, the University of California (UC) Board of Regents has announced that the UC admissions system will update various changes to the standardized testing requirement for undergraduates. Announced on May 21 in the thick of AP testing, all California freshman undergraduate applicants up to the Class of 2022 will not need to submit a score, be it SAT or ACT, for the standardized test requirement. For classes 2023 and 2024, it would not be used for admission, but for course placement. 

UC President Janet Napolitano has revealed that the Board is “developing a new test that more closely aligns with what we expect incoming students to know to demonstrate their preparedness for UC.” While no further details have been provided on the new test, it is expected that this new exam’s purpose is to replace the SAT and the ACT for UC undergraduate admissions. Details, such as the date of the exam’s release and its price still remain disclosed. 

For the entering high school classes of 2021-2022, admissions will be test optional. All students will have the option to submit ACT and/or SAT scores, but they will not be penalized if they choose not to submit standardized test scores. 

Furthermore, students no longer need to submit the SAT Essay or the ACT Writing requirement, which is an extension of an already lengthy exam. However, if students choose to submit the scores, the scores may be used in consideration for admissions, scholarships, course placement, and statewide eligibility for admissions guarantee.

For the entering classes of 2023-2024, admissions will be test-blind. This means that while California public and independent high schoolers may submit SAT and/or ACT scores, these scores will not be used in admissions decisions. For those who are not California residents, the Academic Senate is to work with the University administration on an alternative option. Still, students who submit scores may have their scores be used for scholarship consideration, course placement, and statewide eligibility for admissions guarantee.

Much farther in the future, for the entering classes of 2025 and beyond, there are currently two options that UC is weighing. If there is a new exam by fall 2025, then all California high school students will be required to submit scores from the new test, which would be available to private, independent, and out-of-state schools. For nonresidents and international students, they would either also take the new exam or follow something else to be determined by the University. In the event that a new exam is not ready by fall 2025, then the UC will eliminate the standardized testing requirement for California freshman admissions. Those who are nonresidents face another approach that will be considered by the Academic Senate and the University. 

Moreover, UC Board of Regents Chair John A. Perez has recognized that these changes to admissions requirements are incredible steps “in the right direction toward aligning our admissions policy with the broad-based values of the University.” These changes are aimed at creating a new system that will add substantial value to the admissions decision process, and especially to increase educational access and equity in California. 

Graphic Courtesy of ZOCALOPUBLICSQUARE.ORG