Podcasts Worth Listening To

Jasmine Oang, Staff Writer

While obeying stay-at-home orders it might be a struggle finding content to fill the day with as your eyes begin to tire from hours of binge-watching Tiger King and Never Have I Ever on Netflix or simply from constantly refreshing your Instagram feed. So, give your eyes a rest, and listen to a few podcasts instead. Podcasts used to be dubbed “audio blogs” and have grown more popular in the recent year. Many people tend to favor them because they fit into busy schedules and allow individuals to multitask. Personally, I listen to a podcast when I’m cleaning or even just thinking about what to do next. Here are a few podcasts that are worth listening to in quarantine:

• Keepin’ It Arcadia

Host senior Jeffrey Lee says thats Keepin’ It Arcadia aims to “connect the community with the school district and provide quality and meaningful content that will help present and future students.” The podcast has featured many interviews from AHS students and staff to Parks & Recs actress Amy Poehler. It keeps its listeners updated at home even when it feels like community life has halted. You can find it on Podbean, Spotify, and Apple Podcasts.

• Asian Boss Girl

Asian Boss Girl is hosted by three young Asian-American women, Helen Wu, Janet Wang and Melody Chang, who share their experiences growing up and navigating the world as Asian-American women. They hope to rebrand the perception of Asian-American women and empower their listeners to be “boss girls”. The podcast has featured many Asian-American leaders such as Wong Fu Productions Co-Founder and BOPOMOFO Cafe Co-Owner Philip Wang and the Founder of nonprofit, PERIOD, Nadya Okamoto. You can find it on 12 different platforms including Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Play, and its website asianbossgirl.com 

• NPR: Up First

Up First is the go-to podcast if you’re short on time or need to catch up on the news. Hosted by Rachel Martin, Noel King, David Greene and Steve Inskeep, the podcast highlights the three biggest stories of the day in 10 minutes. It’s a great listen for walks, drives, or chores and alleviates the struggle some may feel with cable news and partisanship. You can find it on 7 platforms including Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and the NPR app or website.

• The Health Code

Started by Australian YouTuber Sarah’s Day and Content Creator Kurt Tilse, The Health Code features content on Health, Fitness, Lifestyle, and Careers. Since many people have been focusing on fitness and productivity while at home, this podcast is a great listen for some advice and motivation. Although the episodes are an hour long, the hosts are bubbly and rather entertaining. You can find it on multiple platforms including Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Podbean and iHeartRadio.

Graphic courtesy of UNITEDWAYAUSTIN.ORG