Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Leslie Chen, Staff Writer

As fears of the coronavirus force people to stay inside, many are turning to a new game to pass the time: Animal Crossing: New Horizons. After almost a decade, Nintendo released the game on Mar. 20, to the delight of many fans.

Animal Crossing is a life simulation game played in real-time. The player assumes the role of a customizable character that moves to a deserted island. There, the player is free to explore the island and collect currency, which can be used to purchase premium items or upgrade their dwelling space. Players can earn money by completing a series of tasks, such as collecting fruit and shells to sell for a profit.

However, Animal Crossing: New Horizons takes the original game to a whole new level. The entire premise of the game is that you’re headed to a deserted island for a holiday. All that you are given is a tent, and it is up to you to meet new people and take advantage of your surroundings. New Horizons offers many long-awaited features, including a robust crafting system, new currencies, and even weather that corresponds to where you actually live.

Not only are you able to interact with the anthropomorphic animals that are on your island, New Horizons allows you to play with your real-world friends. That means if you share the same Switch as anyone, up to four of you can have a house on the same island. You will also be able to contribute to the same island and interact with the same residents. 

Sophomore Audrey Stephenson believes this function is the best part of the game. “Because I can’t go out and see my friends, this game provides the perfect opportunity for me to interact and talk to them,” she said. “My friends and I can visit each other’s islands, go fishing together, and socialize with our island’s residents—it’s really fun.”

Audrey revealed that she appreciates the simplicity of the game. “You’re able to play it all your own pace,” she states. “There’s no pressure, no time limit, and very few mistakes that can be possibly made. I don’t have to worry about meeting a challenge or finishing a task under a time limit.” 

She also expressed her love for the in-game music and art. “I really like the art style of the characters and landmarks. The music is also really calming and enjoyable to listen to in the background.”

At a time when we’re told to stay away from each other, Animal Crossing: New Horizons offers an opportunity to hang out of friends, as well as a chance to escape any stress, if only for a few hours a day.

Graphic courtesy of NINTENDO.COM