The Quiet Power of Introverts

Shirley Huang, Staff Writer

For some, solitude is the air they breathe. People who feel most alive and most capable when alone in a quiet setting are often labeled “introverts”. And, although this is not a flaw, society does, however, condemn those who are seemingly more timid and withdrawn. 

To negate the stereotypical interpretation of an introvert, introversion does not mean shyness. Shyness is defined as a fear of social judgment. Introversion, on the other hand, describes someone who prefers to venture off alone to better concentrate on their thoughts and emotions. When socializing, introverts tend to listen more than they talk and think before they speak. Conversely, extroverts are most energized when at the center of attention, often thinking out loud and on their feet. 

Susan Cain, the author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking, contends that there is a bias embedded in our society. “A widely held, but rarely articulated, belief in our society is that the ideal self is bold, alpha, gregarious. Introversion is viewed somewhere between disappointment and pathology.”

This bias can be seen in our most valued institutions; our schools and our workplaces, as they are designed to cater to the needs of extroverts. In doing so, there has come about this new belief system, known as “groupthink”, which holds that all creativity and productivity comes from social interactions. 

Picture a modern-day classroom, with its desks intentionally arranged so that a group of students is forced to sit facing one another, creating a more gregarious environment. Countless group projects are assigned to promote social skills, even in subjects that one would think should depend on an individual’s own mind,  like math and creative writing. As for the few students who prefer to work by themselves, well, they are seen as outliers, or worse, problem cases. A majority of teachers agree that the ideal student is an extrovert, though studies show that introverts tend to earn better grades and are more knowledgeable. 

The same holds true in workplaces, most of which are now designed to be open-plan, without walls or any other physical barriers, allowing for constant noise and inconspicuous stares from coworkers. Introverts are not even considered for leadership positions, even though they hold the essential traits like being careful and considerate of others’ thoughts and perspectives. Meanwhile, extroverts are praised for their assertiveness and charisma. However, there is no correlation between being the most talkative and having the best ideas. 

When you look at people like Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, and Gandhi, you find that each of these transformative leaders describes themselves as being quiet and soft-spoken, even a little shy! They all stood at the forefront, not because they sought power nor attention, but because they were driven to do what they believed was right. 

History’s most creative people hold an exceptional ability to exchange and advance ideas but they also share a bold streak of introversion. Charles Darwin took leisure in long walks through the woods. Theodor Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, dreamed up his many wondrous creations in a lonely bell tower office and was hesitant about meeting his young readers for fear of disappointing them with his reserved persona. Steve Wozniak, the creator of the first Apple computer, claims that he would never have become such an expert if he had not been too introverted to leave the house during his adolescence. 

None of this is to say that communication is unimportant nor that collaboration should be abolished, but there does need to be more freedom and more appreciation given toward introverts and all that they contribute. There needs to be more privacy and more autonomy implemented into our education system, as well as many of our professions. Students should be taught how to work with others, but also, to work on their own. That is where deep thought comes from. 

Graphic courtesy of ELEGANTTHEMES.COM