The Effect of COVID-19 on Sports

Linda Qiu, Staff Writer

Since its first identification in Dec. 2019, the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has had a massive impact on many fields, from politics and education to socioeconomics and environment. One aspect of socioeconomics disrupted by coronavirus is sports, as numerous sporting events have been either postponed or cancelled.

The major American sports leagues, the NBA, NFL, Major League Baseball (MLB), and National Hockey League (NHL) have had many upcoming events that many audiences have been anticipating; for example, the NBA has suspended the rest of its season in an attempt to contain the spread of coronavirus. 

The NBA has taken one of the biggest hits in the sports world, as some of the NBA’s biggest players, such as Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell, have tested positive for the coronavirus. Many posts and articles have gone out to send words of positivity to influencers who may have contracted COVID-19.

Even the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, which is considered to be one of the biggest global events, has been postponed. The games were originally scheduled to take place this summer, but the Tokyo Organizing Committee and the International Olympic Committee announced that it would be delayed to 2021, and held no later than summer 2021. The coronavirus, unlike the Zika virus during the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, is transmissible among humans. Hence, the games were completely postponed for the first time ever in Olympic history, demonstrating the large impact the coronavirus has had on the world of sporting events.

As seen via social media and news outlets, many excited and anxious sport-attenders were extremely let down by these cancellations. 

Dedicated Olympics fan sophomore Emily Fang said, “I was extremely let down. I was absolutely devastated that I wouldn’t get to witness the best summer Olympic event, trampolining, live with my friends and family this year.”

Furthermore, the athletes themselves will lose many sponsorship opportunities and other means to profit. For some players, they have missed out on one of their last chances to enter major sports competitions.

As for our own school, all sporting events have been put on hold as per the instructions of the governor of California.

Sophomore Sylvie Thompson of the Arcadia Swim Team said, “I’m really disappointed in lieu of this sudden news. Because of this coronavirus, my teammates and I will have a harder time improving our times and staying in shape. Our coach and the coaches of other teams have instructed us to stay fit through our own means, which is another thing beyond loads of classwork that will take up my time.”

Many students hope to be back in session to see their seasons finish off successfully. Sophomore Hannah Aguilar said, “I just really hope that the virus is over soon. I want to get back to spending time with my friends at school, and I actually am looking forward to learning again in an actual classroom. This is an event that many people have never seen, and we just hope we are well prepared for it.”

Although these cancellations are disappointing, they are for the safety and health of the athletes, spectators, and the public at large. Even though COVID-19 has shaken the world of sports, players and dedicated fans can only hope that this tragic pandemic will be over soon and everyone can get back to playing or watching their favorite sport.

Graphic Courtesy of CBR.COM