COVID-19 Causes School Closures Across U.S.

Kylie Ha, Staff Writer

As the death toll tops 140 in the U.S., COVID-19 continues to spread across the country. The World Health Organization recently declared COVID-19 a pandemic, leading to the closures of thousands of K-12 school districts from Los Angeles to New York City. In almost three dozen states, governors have closed all public schools statewide. These closures serve as a strategy to limit public interactions and slow down the spread of COVID-19. 

President Donald Trump suggested that more closures may happen soon, stating that children should “engage in schooling from home whenever possible.” The massive disruption to families’ lives from school closures are presenting challenges to working parents. Along with academic concerns about the remainder of the school year, the school closures could possibly extend past a few weeks. 

On Mar. 18, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed 46 new cases of COVID-19. Due to testing limitations, the best approach, as suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), is to practice social distancing. 

Arcadia confirmed its first case on Monday, Mar. 16. As of Mar. 18, there are two confirmed cases.

LA Public Health has asked that people limit gatherings of more than ten, avoid non-essential travel, and keep anyone who is older than 65, pregnant, or has a chronic illness inside. Cities such as Alhambra, Glendora, Inglewood, and Koreatown each have one known case. On the other hand, nearby cities such as Pasadena, Alhambra, Culver City, Diamond Bar, and Monterey Park each report two cases.

In LA County, the total number of cases has reached 190, with 1 death.

Amidst the chaos and concerns for children’s safety in schools, the Arcadia Unified School District (AUSD) has ensured the best care for all children, staff, and the community. In addition to sending 12 “Coronavirus Updates” to date and creating an FAQ page for coronavirus-related concerns, AUSD has made the decision to close all of its schools for the next four weeks (including spring break, which is scheduled for Apr. 6-10), but is still committed to serving students and families during this difficult time. Schools are scheduled to re-open on Apr. 13. 

Despite being closed, AUSD is still offering free meals to students in the Free & Reduced Meals Program. Nutrition Services will be hosting a drive-through service at Arcadia High School from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. every day. In order to receive a free meal, an eligible AUSD student must be present in the vehicle, but all people 18-years-old or younger in the vehicle may also receive a free meal if they wish. 

As for education and learning opportunities, AUSD has made clear that all information and tools necessary to keep learning will be provided to ensure a strong foundation for all students. Although it is optional, teachers have provided coursework and enrichment opportunities for students and have even created a website with additional learning resources. Likewise, in order to facilitate a learning environment, Chromebooks will be sent directly to families whose students do not typically take their school-issued Chromebooks home. 

As COVID-19 is predicted to persist well into the summer, officials are consistently reminding people to continue to wash their hands, look out for updates from the school and news, and practice social distancing. 

Photo courtesy of AUSD